Looking for a "Blues History" book.

Hi Griff (and all forum members).

In my journey to be a better player, I've also developed a curiosity about the history of the blues. I keep finding that my favorite players have drawn heavily from players that preceded them. Can you recommend your favorite blues history book?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Steve

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Hi Stephen. I've read "Rollin' And Tumblin" by Jas Obrecht. Primarily about Post WWII blues performers.
I also get info on blues history from the sticky thread "Blues History Links" in the Lounge section. Great
references.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Here's what I have read that I found to be helpful. Also, I hardly ever buy a book new. Most of these can be found, shipped, for $5 or $10 if you don't mind a used copy.

The NPR Curious Listener's Guide to the Blues. Very basic. Very high level. As I recall it was a pretty quick read, but I've kept it because it's also a good basic reference. I bought this one when I was first starting my blues journey. If I remember correctly, it has 3 sections. Types of blues: Breaks down the various styles and gives a thumbnail into each one. And in some cases breaks them down into sub-categories I've never heard mentioned anywhere else (like Yodel Blues - who's ever heard of yodel blues). Performers: All the major blues men and women along with a brief bio including their influences if they're newer. Suggested listening: This was the best part to me. Lists a song and artist and why you need to listen to it.

Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues. This is a companion to his documentary on the blues. This one lists a lot of old players you've heard of and a lot you've never seen their name anywhere. I got the book first, and it made me interested enough to look up the series. Discovered JB Lenoir through this one. He quickly became my favorite old time bluesman. As I recall, it didn't really have sections on artists or styles. It started with, "this is where blues started" and then traced the line from that through the various singers and players and what they were doing and how they melded different aspects of music into what they were doing until it reached more modern times.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Day By Day, Night After Night. Couldn't not buy this one when I saw it because SRV is easily one of my fave musicians of all time and absolutely my fave blues player. There are actually 2-volumes to this one that are split into early career and later career. Loads of SRV memorabilia pics. A wealth of SRV history and chronology that centers around his performances...what date he played where along with any notes of interest all the way down to giving the setlists where they were available. I know I'm gatekeeping when I say that you can't call yourself a real fan of SRV without owning these books. Not at all a traditional bio, but very interesting and super cool to their target audience.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Caught in the Crossfire. Have I mentioned that I'm an SRV fan? Here's your more traditional biography of him. Covers everything, the good, bad, and ugly...his childhood, his rise in the Texas music scene, his struggles with substance abuse, when he got clean. Good read if you're interested in his life.

Clapton: The Autobiography. My probably most-played lick is one that I stole from Griff and Bob Murnahan that they both stole from Clapton. By my own admission, I'm not really a big Clapton fan, but I have an appreciation for what he plays and what he seems to have done for the blues in bringing it to the masses. I believe this is the standard when it comes to reading about his life and times.

Blues All Around Me: The Autobiography of BB King. I've read 3 or 4 BB King books. This one is easily the best of them. I've always liked BB (who doesn't?!?), but this one gave me a whole new appreciation for him and his music. If you were to choose one and only one biography about one and only one blues player, as much as I like SRV, this is the one you need to read. Great book about blues during that whole 40s, 50s, and 60s time period. Well worth the read.

I'd like to find bios on Freddie King and Son House, but haven't come across any yet. If anyone else does, please pass along the info on them.