Live Van Halen video from 1978

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
If you are not a Van Halen fan, you may want to skip this video but if you like the DLR years, this is gold. This was the tour that they opened up for Black Sabbath and completely blew them off the stage. Granted, Roth will never be confused with a great live singer (as this video shows), but he is a great entertainer and the band was just tearing it up. Very little if any other live video from this time period. I think it was 1980 when I first saw them live. Great show, horrible sound.

The video cuts out about every 3 1/2 minutes because the fan doing the recording had to put in a new film reel since the 8mm could only take about 3 1/2 minutes per reel.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Hey I learned something. Fresno is the rock and roll capital of the world. My grandparents lived in Fresno in the early 1960's and I fell into their pool when I was 2 years old. Luckily my dad was watching and jumped in and pulled me out. I had swimming lessons when I was 3 and then the grand parents moved to San Jose and didn't have a pool.

I saw Van Halen in 1979 but they were already head liners. I wonder if Toni Iommi felt the way Eric Clapton did when Jimi Hendrix went on stage before him. You know the concert I'm talking about. Was Ozzy still with Sabbath in 1978?

Eric

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Hey I learned something. Fresno is the rock and roll capital of the world. My grandparents lived in Fresno in the early 1960's and I fell into their pool when I was 2 years old. Luckily my dad was watching and jumped in and pulled me out. I had swimming lessons when I was 3 and then the grand parents moved to San Jose and didn't have a pool.

I saw Van Halen in 1979 but they were already head liners. I wonder if Toni Iommi felt the way Eric Clapton did when Jimi Hendrix went on stage before him. You know the concert I'm talking about. Was Ozzy still with Sabbath in 1978?

Eric
Ozzy was still with Black Sabbath on this tour but his time was nearing an end. I was only 3 or 4 years old when Hendrix released his first album so I have no memory of what it was like to hear him the first time. On the other hand, I remember exactly where I was when I heard Van Halen (Eruption/You Really Got Me) on the radio for the first time. That first Van Halen record is still in my top 5 records of all time.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
:cool:Wow
If you are not a Van Halen fan, you may want to skip this video but if you like the DLR years, this is gold. This was the tour that they opened up for Black Sabbath and completely blew them off the stage. Granted, Roth will never be confused with a great live singer (as this video shows), but he is a great entertainer and the band was just tearing it up. Very little if any other live video from this time period. I think it was 1980 when I first saw them live. Great show, horrible sound.

The video cuts out about every 3 1/2 minutes because the fan doing the recording had to put in a new film reel since the 8mm could only take about 3 1/2 minutes per reel.

Wow! What memories this brings back. I saw them 3 times, (I think it was 80, 81, and 82 but my memory is kind of fuzzy from that era:cool:, senior high days). Eddie is what led me to the guitar (even though I still only play cowboy and bar chords). When the wife is gone I crank the amp and rock like Eddie:cool::D:cool: Thanks so much for posting!!!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I was only 3 or 4 years old when Hendrix released his first album so I have no memory of what it was like to hear him the first time.

Damn kids!
grogne.gif

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
That's the original black tape Frankenstrat.

Disco was dying but we still had cuts that made me shudder. The Stones:"Some Girls" . The Dead "Shakedown Street. It was a dark period in rock music

"The MTV days" Tears for Fears and Men Without hats played 24 hours a day, ready to make me puke.

Had rock really died?

And then this. WTF? This changed everything.

Remind me to tell you the story of the bathroom below Madison Square Garden during a Van Halen concert when I see you in Oct. Epic

Thanks for posting Brian.

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Heh. DLR being a living example of the phrase, "Struttin' yer pud."

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. :Beer:

Last edited: