Little Mary's Lamb

B

blwnbwtie

Having a bit of trouble with this one, everytime i get the hang of it, it goes back downhill again.  Went back to playing it at slow speed.  Here is what i have so far.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/f_KetQDF/littlemary_slow1.html

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That sounds good blwnbwtie - I'm working on this one as well. In my case getting to full speed and keeping the timing right at the same time is giving me problems.

I was advised to try speeding up in stages rather then go straight from slow speed to full speed - maybe it'll help you too. You've certainly got the slow speed nailed so you are not far off getting it down - good job  [smiley=beer.gif]

Russ

Blues Newbie
Nice job. One thing that I need to tell you is this: When you think you've nailed it and you post that sucker, don't get upset when someone says,"You've almost got it. Just a little more practice". I just about blew my top the first time I read that on one of my posts, so now I post my 1st and final cuts in the same post and use them as practice. There's always gonna be somebody like that. Anyway, I thought you did a nice job. Why? Because I've had BBG since it came out and I'm still not quite to where you are yet. It sounds good to me.  :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Blwnbwtie, that's coming along nicely.I really like your tone on this. In the future, please try to include an equipment list and settings if you can, so that others can try to achieve that nice warm tone that you get here.
I'm with Ray on this too: You have to work up to speed slowly. It also helps to play along with Griff's track in a tool like Audacity (for recording) or Riffmaster for practice.

B

blwnbwtie

Thanks guys.  As far as equipment I am using a Fender Strat on Neck and Middle pickup, to a M-Audio (i think) cable that is 1/4" to USB.  I just record that into Audacity while listening to the jam track in Windows Media Player.  I havent figured out how to use any effects or tone programs yet.

B

blwnbwtie

Here is another recording at full speed.  Everytime i push that record button i choke.  I practiced a few times before i tried and had it down.  A few slip ups on this one.  A lot better than it was a few days ago though.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/McfsgIpC/littlemary_full.html

Thanks for listening.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Good stuff. This one isn't easy, but it sure is fun! Keep it up! I didn't notice any "choking" at all.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Hey BL, very nice playing on both takes.  Keep those recordings coming & don't worry about getting nervous.  It's a natural part of the process.

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Hey b-tie,
   Sounds good Brah  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ... I love "Mary's Little Poke Chop" ... when I thought I had it totally nailed my friend Lilly listened to my version at full speed then listened to Griff do it at full speed ... she said : "Dude, what you been smokin ... Yours sounds way better than his" !!! ...
   Then she said : "Psyche" !!! ...  "I think you better practice a little on the timing" ...
   I couldn't hear what she was pointing out 'cause I was a little pissed about thinking I had it perfect ...
   My point : Now I know why you guys record to uncover your mistakes ... I still don't want to take the time to get the stuff I need to record and learn to do it ... that may change ... I'm OK with it ...
   Anyway ... good job with a great tune !  :cool: