Little Mary's Farm

Russ

Blues Newbie
and the rest of the feed lot too! Hahaha

Here's my slow version so far:
2003 First Act Acoustic
.012 - .053 strings about 3 weeks old
Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3 pick (BTW: made in USA)
Recorded with Audacity and one of those microphones you'd use with a singing game (use what yu got, right). (about 1.5 feet away)

I had a heck of a time going from the 12th back to the 1st bar because I kept including the last strum by accident. I haven't included the new version of A7, yet. I will in my own time. What yu gunna do? Fire me?  ;D

http://www.4shared.com/audio/I3nY9WTh/LMFslwAcstc3Fnl.html

:cool:

L

Lame_Pinkey

Hey thats coming along Russ , glad you are liking it too.Its a good fun thing to play I usually run through it a few times a day (albeit different variations) & is a good practice/warm up.
I sometimes actually add extra strums on the 12th bar or I use a slide down (steady gliss ;)) from the 7th,10th,12th fret anywhere really  ;D or even a Jimi style muted chopping up/down slide (chyoo,chyooo) just so much you can do with this because it allows you time to add fills of your own...when you are able to ofcourse.
Keep it up mate  ;)

LP

Russ

Blues Newbie
I listened to it again and it sounded extremely mechanical. I guess you can tell it was only the 2nd time I'd gotten the song played correctly. It will come along as I practice it, like they always do  :D .

L

Lame_Pinkey

It probably will for awhile Russ its like that with everyone when learning a new tune or song.
The more comfortable you become with it the more it flows like wine from a silver chalice...straight down LP's throat  ;D

LP

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Don't worry about it sounding mechanical - that will all work itself out as you continue to practice and gain more control and finger strength.

Nice  :cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm hearing a load of improvement Russ, The more you play it the smoother and less "mechanical" it will sound. Just relax and feel the groove of the song.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Just listened to the audio file, hey that was pretty good. I think I would have benefitted from getting BBG, shame there isn't a link to the Griff shop from the forum!

:-/

Russ

Blues Newbie
Don, thanks for the comment. We are very vague about the tabs in our lessons because we don't want to give away Griff's copy righten material precisely so people want to buy it   :cool: . I've asked a Moderator to send you a link because I've recently changed servers and haven't transferred my links yet. Sorry.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Don,
You may have to start here:
http://startplayingbluesguitar.com/sitting-easy-index.php
I'll PM Griff and ask for direct ordering links for all his courses.

Russ

Blues Newbie
http://www.4shared.com/audio/GVIwH2oG/LMFslw4.html

I had to take a break for a couple weeks due to a hand injury, but I'm back at it again. I really thought I stunk when I started up again, until I realized my guitar's neck was too straight. I loosened a small bend into it and adjusted the intonation as close as I could and sounds so much better. This particular song lesson really shows off the fact that the strings are still sticking to my fingers, but I'm attempting to get over my perfectionist attitude and hope it will improve in time.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Good recording Russ, and your tone sounded great, I think your guitar adjustments really paid off  [smiley=beer.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great job Russ, I'm not hearing the "Sticky Fingers" issue at all. All I hear is some really clean playing. Not a muffed note in the lot. Great work!

Russ

Blues Newbie
Wow, its amazing what you can hear and doesn't record onto the computer. When I say my fingers stick to the strings, its like my fingers are delayed from coming off the strings like a swimming diving board. You know, there's that split second where you stay in contact. Live, it almost sounds like I'm trying to bend, where the note literally changes pitch or something. I know I need to relax and not be such a perfectionist on a lot of this.
I don't know. Anyway, thanks for the comments  :cool:

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
funny thing is I started this lesson this weekend and doing it slow is a killer to me. i have much more fun and success going fast.

but then, it seems my natural rhythm is pushing me to speed up all the time doing these lessons.

I should record shortly. This piece just sounds so different between fast and slow, like its too different pieces altogether.

Russ

Blues Newbie
http://www.4shared.com/audio/BbOBxVWS/SlwLMF8.html

Electric Gregg Bennett Samick Fastback
Switch in middle (according to Griff's E-mail video its both bridge and neck pick ups)
Both pick up volumes and Master Volume @ 11  :p
Into computer USB

Due to a serious wrist injury over the winter and smucked up finger nail recently, I haven't been able to play much. And to be honest, I got addicted to my Wii killing Zombies, while waiting for things to heal. OK, so I know its not great and I fudged a couple spots, but I'm back at it, so that's what counts.  ;)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Russ, the playing sound like you're pretty close, but it sounds like either your guitar is out of tune or you are playing strings that should be muted. I'm thinking it's the "playing strings that should be muted" thing, because your single notes sound fine.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Nice job Russ, I enjoyed listening to all of them and noticing the improvements. Something seemed off on the last one, like the guitar was way out of tune when you were hitting the chords parts. Of course that's the easiest problem there is to fix, so who cares right??  ;D Seriously though, nice job. For me, this lesson was such an important milestone, we aren't SRV, but for a split second this lesson can make you feel like a stud! Keep it up buddy, it's been a pleasure to listen to you work your way through the course. You're kicking ass, so put down the wii and get to practicing!!  [smiley=beer.gif]