Little Mary's Farm

B

bplavoie

Looking over my practice notes, I've been playing this one daily since early November. I've played it more than 137 times - probably closer to 200. It's sounding OK, but still not great - I've still got some string muting issues, and all it takes is a moment of active thinking about what I'm doing and the whole thing falls apart. Still, I can play it at least this well every 3 times out of 5, so I think I'm gonna put it to bed for now.

http://www.4shared.com/file/166296223/ab29f31e/Little_Marys_Farm_1.html

B

bplavoie

Thanks, everyone!

Nenad - yes, this is one of the later lessons in BBG. Lots of finger work - as opposed to chords - in BBG; very good for learning your way around the strings playing songs rather than exercises. It was a a lot more 'advanced' than I thought it would be.

johnc

systematic
Very very good Brian, and yeah that is getting more involved alright.  You played it well so timefor your next lesson for sure.

J

jhagan421

Good work BP You are getting right  along!!  Great to hear, Sounded smooth and good tone

It sounds like you are very organized in your proactice regiment,noting what you've played - Something I am very lacking at

B

bplavoie

Josh - I'm a recovering accountant and very much type-A; no way I could tackle something like learning guitar and not try to quantify it!

J

jhagan421

;D LOL ;D  I try to leave that at work - the house is proof

-But serioisly I could take a page from you and get better about structuring.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
Good job Brian, when I listen to recordings of pieces more advanced than where I've got to in the course I can just listen to enjoy as an audience and that sounded real good :)

B

bplavoie

Thanks, Ray!

I was just listening to JD's G7 Strum Lesson posting with the improvised solo and thinking, "I'll never be able to do that", and then I remember that I used to listen to people playing this one and thinking the same thing. Somehow the stuff ahead of where I am still seems sort of magical to me, even though I've now got proof I can get there.

Ray_UK

Blues Newbie
That 'journey' analogy really works there for you, you can see the road ahead but now you can also see some road behind, so you know you're moving along, making progress.

I'm looking forward to getting a bit of road behind me too :)

E

Emilio

You have been a busy boy and this sounds good.

Just for the record I have been playing this for about 3 months and have probably done it near to 500 times

You have done the hard bit. It is simply a matter of repetition now if you want to perfect those chord changes

B

bplavoie

Wow - Emi - 500! No wonder yours sounds so smooth now.

I played it about 20 times last night and found that if I focus on the notes - singing along in my head while playing - I messed up a lot less than if I didn't. I figure than doing that keeps my mind from wandering to what the fingers are doing and so trying to 'take over' for my muscle memory. I'm gonna keep at it...

JD1

Blues Newbie
Sounds great Brian.....

there ya go .. setting the bar for the rest of us to shoot for.....  :)

L

Lame_Pinky

That sounds real good my man i think i would enjoy playing that too & i know the other person I bought BBG for will enjoy it as well. Great stuff Brian keep it up !

LP

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Brian, that sounded real nice to me.  Every time I hear a BBG recording it makes me want to buy it as well.  Some real neat tunes in that course.  Again, well done.

B

bplavoie

Thanks, guys! I was playing it again last night trying to smooth it out, to no avail. I'm getting a little tired of playing the same stuff over and over, so I pulled out the 4-note solo last night to add a little spice to the practice. Bending strings is a hoot...