Listen to the music

Banjo_Dave

Blues Newbie
I have been out of the loop for a while, been practicing some, but not on line. Went to a jam last night. Mostly county music. Older people, some quite good, some like me not so good, but great group and they support everyone. Playing banjo I watch what the guitar and dobro players are doing. I know what key a song is in, but sometime have trouble catching the right chord on the change. some songs are straight forward, some are not, so I watch the fingers of the other players to know what chord to change to. Not always a good thing as they are sometimes wrong. I find if I listen closely, it is better than watching. Am I the only one that does this? There are a couple of accordion players there too. I know what you are thinking, but they are having fun with what they like too, just like a banjo player. They play in the key of F a lot. I guess that it gives me some chord theory lessons on the spot trying to play the right chords. What I am getting at is that listening is better than watching. Lesson learned by me this weekend.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have been out of the loop for a while, been practicing some, but not on line. Went to a jam last night. Mostly county music. Older people, some quite good, some like me not so good, but great group and they support everyone. Playing banjo I watch what the guitar and dobro players are doing. I know what key a song is in, but sometime have trouble catching the right chord on the change. some songs are straight forward, some are not, so I watch the fingers of the other players to know what chord to change to. Not always a good thing as they are sometimes wrong. I find if I listen closely, it is better than watching. Am I the only one that does this? [glow=yellow,2,300]There are a couple of accordion players there too. I know what you are thinking, but they are having fun with what they like too, just like a banjo player. [/glow]They play in the key of F a lot. I guess that it gives me some chord theory lessons on the spot trying to play the right chords. What I am getting at is that listening is better than watching. Lesson learned by me this weekend.

I was thinking these must be wonderful, fun people!  I've been known to drag out the old 120 bass myself, abusing the hearing of all within earshot!
accordion2.jpg

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I played rhythm guitar in a working band for a couple of years with a lead guitar player who played left-handed and upside down like Hendrix ... and the bass player was his brother.  We would often get into an impromptu jam at our gigs ... and I never knew what "crazy Leon" was going to do next.  Looking at his hands only crossed my eyeballs up and addled my brain, so all I could do was LISTEN and PRAY.  Well, praying didn't accomplish much (must have pissed God off somewhere along the line), so I learned to LISTEN.

Banjo_Dave

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to listen more. I did jam with a left handed guitar player at a bluegrass fest parking lot in July & it was a brain twister, even though I am a lefty, but play right handed.

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Ear training is very important, when you can just listen to a song, and pick your guitar up and play it, to me that's the "holy grail" of playing guitar.

Today is international left hand day.
I have jammed with a lefty guitar player for over 3 years now, and at first I could not look at his hands, then he told me to think of it as looking in a mirror, and after that I had no more problems.