Line 6 Pod or Pocket Pod

Discussion in 'Recording Tips and Tricks' started by davidc252, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JestMe

JestMe Student Of The Blues

Dave

I am far from a recording guru but I have done a number of recordings that to my ears sounded fine.

I use Reaper as my DAW. You can download it and use it for free, though there may be some recording time limitations... or possibly now there is a 60 day trial period. I did that and ended up purchasing it. It is $60. There is a great video course on using Reaper on the site...
    https://www.reaper.fm/

There is also Audacity which is free.
    https://www.audacityteam.org/
    I started with that, until I realized it did not, at that time, support plugins. I moved on to Reaper so that I could 'plugin' drums via EZDrummer. I think Audacity may support plugins now as well.

I have used my UX2 with PodFarm to get my 'tones' and input that into Reaper [and previously into Audacity].

Hope that helps some.

2. Crossroads

Crossroads Thump the Bottom

I have both a UX2 and a pod hd500 and used both for recording. They are both older technology The UX2 would stop working sometimes because of Windows updates and there was a lot of frustration I'm trying to get Line 6 to straighten it out. The hd500 still suffers from latency. I think you could do a lot better with just a straight audio interface if that's what you looking for probably for under $100

3. JestMe

In thinking about this, I think were I to do it over today, I think I would consider getting an amp that can USB into my DAW... Actually, I guess I could do that now, with my Mustang... though I haven't actually done that ... yet.

4. artyman

artyman Fareham UK

I do all my recording for the VJR through my Mustang III through the USB into Audacity.

JestMe likes this.
  5. davidc252

davidc252 Blues Newbie

I was looking at the mustang amps also. Which mustang do you have and how do you like it?

I'm kind of going back and forth between a modeling amp and just a USB device.
    All I really want to do is record myself so I can hear what I really sound like. When your playing sometimes it all sounds good to you at the time. But listening to a recording I figure I would be able to tell if my timing is right, am I in the pocket and my playing sounds smooth?
    I don't care so much about effects from the recording stand point because I think effects tend to cover up your mistakes.
    However, I think a modeling amp would be cool for playing, plus it can be used for recording.

6. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

I dont know the newer line 6 gear, but I had the older red one, and I found it great for straight up rock n roll, but that was it.

For recording, and wide variety of use, especially with the prices now, consider an Avid 11 rack

7. JestMe

Dave,

We are all different but, personally, I think the amp may be the best idea, As you mentioned already, with an amp you can record and/or get together with someone else and play. You can choose to use or not use the 'effects' as your mood / situation suits you.

I have the older model Mustang III v2. I choose the III because it had a bigger display window on it that I thought would be easier to see and use and it has a 12" speaker, which is my preference. Also it is 100 Watts, which is plenty enough power for me! Oh yeah and I found it used for a good price!

I know someone that has a Mustang I and finds it very suitable for playing at home. Fender has updated the line now
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=mustang+amp
    Looks like the Mustang I v2 may still be the original design and is very affordable at $120 US... the GT40 & GT 100 have new features that offer wireless, Bluetooth, Smart phone apps, and looping... though the pricing is a bit higher. Sounds like some useful and fun features.

I think you mentioned having a Blues Jr... I have one as well. Plenty powerful, small, loud... I love it but... unfortunately no USB etc...I also got mine used!!!