Line 6 Pod or Pocket Pod

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Dave

I am far from a recording guru but I have done a number of recordings that to my ears sounded fine.

I use Reaper as my DAW. You can download it and use it for free, though there may be some recording time limitations... or possibly now there is a 60 day trial period. I did that and ended up purchasing it. It is $60. There is a great video course on using Reaper on the site...
https://www.reaper.fm/

There is also Audacity which is free.
https://www.audacityteam.org/
I started with that, until I realized it did not, at that time, support plugins. I moved on to Reaper so that I could 'plugin' drums via EZDrummer. I think Audacity may support plugins now as well.

I have used my UX2 with PodFarm to get my 'tones' and input that into Reaper [and previously into Audacity].

Hope that helps some.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I have both a UX2 and a pod hd500 and used both for recording. They are both older technology The UX2 would stop working sometimes because of Windows updates and there was a lot of frustration I'm trying to get Line 6 to straighten it out. The hd500 still suffers from latency. I think you could do a lot better with just a straight audio interface if that's what you looking for probably for under $100

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
In thinking about this, I think were I to do it over today, I think I would consider getting an amp that can USB into my DAW... Actually, I guess I could do that now, with my Mustang... though I haven't actually done that ... yet.

artyman

Fareham UK
In thinking about this, I think were I to do it over today, I think I would consider getting an amp that can USB into my DAW... Actually, I guess I could do that now, with my Mustang... though I haven't actually done that ... yet.
I do all my recording for the VJR through my Mustang III through the USB into Audacity.

davidc252

Blues Newbie

I was looking at the mustang amps also. Which mustang do you have and how do you like it?

I'm kind of going back and forth between a modeling amp and just a USB device.
All I really want to do is record myself so I can hear what I really sound like. When your playing sometimes it all sounds good to you at the time. But listening to a recording I figure I would be able to tell if my timing is right, am I in the pocket and my playing sounds smooth?
I don't care so much about effects from the recording stand point because I think effects tend to cover up your mistakes.
However, I think a modeling amp would be cool for playing, plus it can be used for recording.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I dont know the newer line 6 gear, but I had the older red one, and I found it great for straight up rock n roll, but that was it.

For recording, and wide variety of use, especially with the prices now, consider an Avid 11 rack

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Dave,

We are all different but, personally, I think the amp may be the best idea, As you mentioned already, with an amp you can record and/or get together with someone else and play. You can choose to use or not use the 'effects' as your mood / situation suits you.

I have the older model Mustang III v2. I choose the III because it had a bigger display window on it that I thought would be easier to see and use and it has a 12" speaker, which is my preference. Also it is 100 Watts, which is plenty enough power for me! Oh yeah and I found it used for a good price!

I know someone that has a Mustang I and finds it very suitable for playing at home. Fender has updated the line now
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=mustang+amp
Looks like the Mustang I v2 may still be the original design and is very affordable at $120 US... the GT40 & GT 100 have new features that offer wireless, Bluetooth, Smart phone apps, and looping... though the pricing is a bit higher. Sounds like some useful and fun features.

I think you mentioned having a Blues Jr... I have one as well. Plenty powerful, small, loud... I love it but... unfortunately no USB etc...I also got mine used!!!