Line 6 Pod or Pocket Pod

davidc252

Blues Newbie
Does anybody have experience with Line 6 Pod devices? Are these good for recording your guitar directly into your computer?

Thanks
Dave

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Dave

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about, as I think Line 6 has some Pod hardware devices out but... I have a Line 6 UX2 interface and also PodFarm 2 software - Both of these have served me well for a number of years. I've been happy with them. There are a ton of sounds and setting available through the software and the interface allows me to play through my PC and record with them.

PodFarm 2 came with the interface... the UX 2 has 2 inputs so I can add a mic to the mix as well though I haven't really played around with a mic much.

Hope that helps!

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
The USB connection on the Pocket POD is not an audio interface, it is there for programming your presets - you won't be able to record through it. Not sure if the "original" PODs had USB or not, but with either you'd also need some other way to get the audio into your computer (e.g., a separate USB interface).

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
ive got a Pocket sitting about some where,,i think i did it this way years ago if that helps

davidc252

Blues Newbie
Thanks guys, that's good info. I'm looking for something to plug my guitar into and then plug the device into a USB port on my computer to record to a DAW. So I guess the Pocket POD is no good for that. But it sounds like the Line 6 UX2 might work.
I just want something simple and easy to use.
Appreciate the info.

Dave

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Dave
A number of amps have features that allow them to plug into your PC and record to your DAW. This might be a good solution to consider as well. As all your sounds can travel along with your amp in stand alone mode as well as being used to record through your PC and into your DAW...

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Dave... not to muddy up the waters but there are also alternatives to the Line 6 UX2...

davidc252

Blues Newbie
Dave... not to muddy up the waters but there are also alternatives to the Line 6 UX2...

Thanks JestMe. I see that there are a lot of devices and amps that can be used for recording. There are also a lot of brands besides Line6. I just need to look around a little and do some research. Thanks for your help.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
oh ok got you :)..no worries,,,just as a matter of interest do you have any amps at the moment?

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Thanks JestMe. I see that there are a lot of devices and amps that can be used for recording. There are also a lot of brands besides Line6. I just need to look around a little and do some research. Thanks for your help.

You might want to post a question here in the forum regarding what interfaces [and/or amps with USB features] people are using... There are a lot of good folks hanging here and you are sure to get some dialog going.

FWIW The UX2 has worked for me, for years... but I have not done any further research since I got mine. I bought mine on a special sale... that may have been the deciding factor! ;-)

Good luck

aleclee

Tribe of One
I'm looking for something to plug my guitar into and then plug the device into a USB port on my computer to record to a DAW. So I guess the Pocket POD is no good for that. But it sounds like the Line 6 UX2 might work.
Are you looking to use amp sims in the DAW? If not the UX2 and other non-modeling interfaces will give you the recorded sound of your raw guitar which is likely not what you're looking for.

jmin

Student Of The Blues

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Are you looking to use amp sims in the DAW? If not the UX2 and other non-modeling interfaces will give you the recorded sound of your raw guitar which is likely not what you're looking for.

My UX2 came with PodFarm 2 which offers a lot of simulations and effects, the resulting sound can be recorded.

davidc252

Blues Newbie
There are a lot of interfaces for guitar...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=guitar+interface

I use the simplest thing I could find...the Apogee jam. But I think there are even better choices if you want something a little more robust (2 inputs - mic/guitar), without spending a whole lot more.

The Scarlett is very popular...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2--focusrite-scarlett-2i2

Good Luck!

Thanks jmin, I appreciate all the info.

davidc252

Blues Newbie
My UX2 came with PodFarm 2 which offers a lot of simulations and effects, the resulting sound can be recorded.

JestMe, thanks again. Very helpful info. Do you use PodFarm2 in combination with a DAW or does PodFarm2 act as a DAW also? If you use a separate DAW what DAW do you use?