"Let the games begin"---"Hunger games"

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Got my digital recorder--got my flat screen T.V.---got my lap top---got my guitars---got my mics--?????
Now Audacity or Reaper???? I can get either one for free---I got a friend that tells me Reaper is better and easier than Audacity---plus expandable. Anybody know?

Elwood

Blues
I am a struggling neophyte with recording. Having said that I found Audacity, although simple in some ways (like noise reduction), does a great job of earning it's name.

Reaper is the first time I made any descent progress with my stuff. Tons of videos & instructional u-toob stuff. It seems to be a good platform for me to get a grasp of the 5% of recording magic I will be able to grasp anyway. I liked it enough to pony up the modest fee to register. No regrets.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I am not sure which one is better but I have been using reaper for several years and if a dope like me can figure it out, it must not be too bad:whistle:.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
TZep--you don't know who you are talking too about being a COMPUTER IDIOT---almost everyone on this FORUM will vouch for my IGNORANCE of computers..BUT I'M trying. OK the REAPER IT IS (sure hope to heck his first name ain't "Grim")...ain't got nothing to lose but my sanity.

Elwood

Blues
BCB, you and Kenny Gioa are gonna spend a little quality time. :) You'll see.(y)

I really think the way to go at it is like MS Word. Few could care less about all the c-rap in word, they just want to do their work. Since I began trying hard to not get distracted by the zillions of available ways to screw up my work, it is going marginally better. I'm the one with the most complicated guitar I have is a tele, one switch - two knobs, so I really don't care for functionally unnecessary complexity. Reaper seems to "dumb down" enough for me to work and still has tons of whirlygig ticks in there too.
A friend with way better and more current knowledge and skillls, honestly advised that I do not even install a full copy of Traction I have. He knows how fast the clouds gather in my head when I wok on something and the (electronic, in this case) dog eats my homework. Most of that real complicated stuff is better in a sci-fi movie for me.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I'm not going in very deep with this stuff---and might never even use it. Sometimes I get bored with doing something so I start on a different puzzle; after a while I go back to what I was doing--but finding a few pieces of both puzzles never hurts---maybe with luck the pieces will overlap and make everything easier---I HOPE. Later

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Reaper---Took me forever to just download it---I got no idea what to do with it now. Do I have to create a new file for it?--or can I just go with the Zoom r-16 audio folder/file?

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Here is a great starting place... I think you will like Reaper.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

If you are trying to load a pre-recorded audio file... just bring Reaper up and you can drag and drop the audio file onto the Reaper interface and it will load up...

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
JM; I don't even know what DRAG and DROP means or is, let alone how to do it. I might already be doing it when I post songs on the forum I always thought COPY and PASTE was the correct terminology for it. o_O

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
There are a lot of helpful videos on the site ... Videos
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

It may seem overwhelming getting started, but it is not nearly as complex as it first seems. Reaper has many features, many of them are for advanced users. To get started you only need to use a few basic features. I would really suggest that you watch some of the videos beginning with
Start Here
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#li8uxwKxXOs

And then move on to the Reaper 5 Explained videos. You will not need to watch all of them to get started. Once you learn the basics you can always go back and review more advanced topics.... when the right time comes.

There is also a forum that can be very helpful https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Especially the NewbieLand section

I am a very basic user and able to make multi track recordings. It just takes a little time to get started. You can do it and the videos will be very helpful. If you have trouble circle back here and ask a question and I, or someone else will try to help out.

Best of luck. I look forward to hearing your recordings!

FYI...
Drag and drop can be used once you have a project open in Reaper... first step would be to create a new project...

Drag and Drop ....
If you have Reaper open in 1 window and your list of files open in another window, you can do this.
1. Move the mouse over the audio file you want to load into Reaper.
2. Click and hold down the left mouse button while the mouse is over the audio file.[That will 'attach' the file to the mouse.]
3. While still holding down the mouse button, move the mouse over to the Reaper window.
4. Position the mouse over the track you want to load it in, the Reaper Window so that the file icon is positioned all the way to the left wiuthin the track.
5. Release the mouse button.
That should load the audio file into Reaper for you.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Thank you for the Drag & Drop info. I never knew you could drag something with the cursor-over to another place That's one step forward. It will be awhile on that song thing though.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
2 big steps in one day---1st the drag/drop----and then a BIG UN---I took 4 racks EQ'd them, edited, and combined them onto one track as a completed recording--you guys don't know how long I been trying to learn how to do that---3-4 years at LEAST... I'm Dangerous now; you better look out :ROFLMAO::LOL: It is nice to have a video explanening how to do things..

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
My computer does not recognize the R16--I installed the latest up date and it still does not accept it---any ideas of what might be going on?

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
A couple of questions...
  • What is R16?
  • Can you provide more details... Are you getting an error message?