Lesson Suggestion - Comping With Triads

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
You might want to check out Griff's "Guitar Theory Made Useful (And Easy)".

Lesson 6 on Triads (3 notes) and Lesson 7 on "Tall" chords, those with more than 3 notes.

Thanks. Like I said, I guess it's time to learn some theory.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Bob Murnahan's Triad course is a little wonky; but, I've revisited it several times over the last few
years and it's been helpful. Combined with Griff's CAGED course, some new "little chords" continually
reveal themselves. But, it is a bit time intensive and applying this knowledge doesn't come easy.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Looks like we're going to get some instruction on this in July. Thanks Griff.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
did some of that when I was taking courses at UMA...worked with root on the top string, middle string and bottom string...both in maj, minor and dom 7th...a lot of it falls within the chord shapes we already know...fun thing to work on but not high on my list...later.

cowboy

btw, I could PDF some of my notes if anyone is interested...not really hard to figure out.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
did some of that when I was taking courses at UMA...worked with root on the top string, middle string and bottom string...both in maj, minor and dom 7th...a lot of it falls within the chord shapes we already know...fun thing to work on but not high on my list...later.

cowboy

btw, I could PDF some of my notes if anyone is interested...not really hard to figure out.

I'd love to look them over, thanks! :Beer:

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
And that's why I ask :)

Everyone is different in how they take in and assimilate information. My job isn't to try to get you to see it my way, it's to make it available in yours. That's why I ask so many (seemingly random, I'm sure) questions, because it helps me get into the conversation going on between your ears so I can see it from your perspective.

Hi Griff, just my 2 cents on what I think and what I learn from you.
When it comes to chords I belive you need to know them open and as bar form but also able to change the bar root note from the 6 th string to the 1 st strings creating a different sound but still the correct chord.which from all this comes little chords which is needed when playing in a group.
if you all play bar chords or open chords it sounds awful there's no space in the music it is just noise.
Here's for me is where the triads and cadged system opens up a door to comp and stand out a little more so for me as long as you have the root note The 3rd and 5th of the chord your playing,you are correct obvious you need to no when to flat the 3rd and 5th for minor and dm chords ect for other music but for blues just the 3 chords to work out So that's what I learn the chord and every way to play that chord.same as when I learn a lick I play it in every key slow,fast and medium speed I think it helps

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
1 - Have you been through Lesson 29 in BGU and absorbed that at all?
2 - Can you play the 5 CAGED shapes up to speed yet (60bpm) on any chords (doesn't have to be the whole circle of 5ths or 4ths, just on any chords)?

Truthfully, I never did get a handle on Lesson 29 in BGU. The sound is cool and I'm certain I've heard it in lots of places, but I didn't really land on a context for use.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Truthfully, I never did get a handle on Lesson 29 in BGU. The sound is cool and I'm certain I've heard it in lots of places, but I didn't really land on a context for use.
Well... at this point, then, it may be a solution in search of a problem :)

Keep it in the back of your mind and a time will come when it'll be what you need and you'll know where to find it.