Lesson(s) #30-33, a medley!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
OK, so I got carried away...I've been trying to get through this course for 2 years and decided I would take advantage of this point in the course to do some lessons as quickly as possible.
I thought Lesson #30 would be a simple Alternating Bass Note lesson. Boy, was I wrong. I don't know how long it takes before finger picking gets comfortable, but I ain't there yet!
However, Lessons #31, 32, and 33 are just some songs Griff threw in here for fun, and I was very glad to see them! (House of the Rising Sun; Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out; and Amazing Grace) Luckily, I sort of knew 2 out of the 3, and they're all in the same key, so...the idea of a medley struck me.

And, as a bonus, while I was struggling with #30 and making mistakes, I could hear an old song: Nilsson's "Coconut!" - it's only ONE chord! I didn't include it in the medley, but I added a bit to the end of the video just for fun!

ABGU Lessons #30-33...and Coconut!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Way to go.

You're still "the man" on acoustic, as far as I'm concerned.

And you didn't seem at all "intimidated" by that F#dim7 chord.:sneaky:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Way to go.

You're still "the man" on acoustic, as far as I'm concerned.

And you didn't seem at all "intimidated" by that F#dim7 chord.:sneaky:

Wow! Thanks Paleo! You gotta listen to more acoustic players!
As for the Dim chord...thanks, but I think I've been told that it also could have been a D#, an A, or Cdim chord! Hence my confusion and intimidation - never sure where to place the root. I can play it (in that shape) pretty comfortably, but get hung up on the inversions, or right choice.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
dim7: 1 b3 b5 bb7

Same 4 notes in each chord (using D# as enharmonic with Eb)

So "technically" they are all the same chord!!!

(No matter how you arrange those 4 notes.)

Yep. I understand the theoretical make-up, but the reason I suggested this for an AAP session (which I know is why you brought up the Dim chord) is that I'm not really clear on how or where to use the chord(s). (e.g. - What's a common use for it? Is it a substitute for any of the SHR chords? Is it a passing chord? Is there a typical "root" - which string?) ...That kind of stuff. I just gotta know!

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Jmin that was absolutely awesome...great video also. You’re scaring me with those barre chords and that f#dim thing. But you make it look and sound easy. Paleo is right on, you have this acoustic thing nailed down. It’ll be a bittersweet day to see you come to the end of this course.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Jmin that was absolutely awesome...great video also. You’re scaring me with those barre chords and that f#dim thing. But you make it look and sound easy. Paleo is right on, you have this acoustic thing nailed down. It’ll be a bittersweet day to see you come to the end of this course.
Thanks Ivan! Don’t let them barre chords scare you! They’re harmless! ...End of this course? There’s an end?!