Lesson 8

Bigjoedo

Blues Newbie
Any suggestions on getting fingers to stretch to the B7, D7, A7 and G7 chords. I stretch my fingers daily and have moved the fretboard in multiple different positions. I can barley reach with my pinky and the chords don't sound good. I have worked on them daily for 3 months. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I'm looking at you choice of chords and to be honest I can't see how these are difficult. When I play all these it is mainly the open chord versions. This involves the following fret/string combinations"
B7 - X21202
D7 - XX0212
A7 - X02020
G7 - 320001

Bigjoedo

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the reply . I am talking about the B7 X24600 Stretching to the 6th fret with the first finger on the 2nd fret

The D7 X57900 Stretching the pinky to the 9th fret with my fist finger on the 5th fret

The A7 579000 Stretching to the 9th fret with the first finger on the 5th fret

G7 357000 Stretching to the 9th fret with my first finger on the 3rd fret

Thatman

I'm not so sure about where you have been given this fingering but if you have a look at the note required for each of your chords you'll see that your fingering doesn't give the notes required.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Thanks for the reply . I am talking about the B7 X24600 Stretching to the 6th fret with the first finger on the 2nd fret

The D7 X57900 Stretching the pinky to the 9th fret with my fist finger on the 5th fret

The A7 579000 Stretching to the 9th fret with the first finger on the 5th fret

G7 357000 Stretching to the 9th fret with my first finger on the 3rd fret
D7 X577XX to X597XX I think is what you mean. And the third string can be X also

If the fingerings in your post are what you are trying, you are on the wrong track for getting the right sound. The stretching is a separate issue

AlI can suggest is get your thumb on the back of the neck, not over the top. Get the neck up and your left elbow and wrist down which will allow maximum spread for the fingers.

Thatman

Right I understand your point now Bigjoedo. So when you make the stretch you only need to play 2 notes so it's effectively 2/4 or 2/6 (fro Ex 8-1) and yes it is difficult. Griff did a blog explaining how to position your hand for this stretch and it helps if your thumb is in the right place. Check out how to best position your thumb, place it as far as possible to under your pinky but it will only get to the middle of your hand.