Lesson 8-Transitions between chords

Bjarne

Blues above the Arctic Circle
Hello,

I just heard a song on the radio, using common shuffle, like in lesson 8. Between the chord changes there was a kind of a cool transition.
Does Griff Hamlin teach transitions in any of his courses?
Or does anyone know where I can find information about this?

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Welcome Bjarne! If you feel so inclined, make your way over to the Introduce Yourself forum so you can get a proper introduction.

Yes. Griff teaches chord transitions. Generally speaking they're often chord tones used as a bridge between chords. They're found all through many of the courses. The place I can think of where their most prominent is in 52 Rhythm Fills and Variations. That's what the course is all about.

Is this what you mean by transition? Listen especially to the introduction. T-Bone uses all arpeggios of his chords for transitions. You can hear some very nice examples of transitions from the piano playing part in this song.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Bjarne

Thank you, HotLks. Nice song form T-Bone.

I guess I'm looking for some tones that fits in between the type of chords used in lesson 8.
I see it often used between open chords. Maybe the sames tones also can be used here.

I looked briefly through "52 Rhythm Fills and Variations" without finding anything. I'm going to look again :)

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
While you're playing the examples, finger the full chords and play around with the chord notes. Pick them in an interesting order that compliments the doubles that you're playing. A good fill would be a simple 1/2 step walk up from the 7th to the root of each chord.

Example: between measures of A7, walk up from G - G# - A on the 6th string or on the 3rd string. Transition to D7 with a walk up on the 5th string from C - C# - D or on the 1st string. Finger the full chord and play with the notes in it to get a sequence that you like. You can add tones that are not in the chord tones but they will need to "fit" or sound right. A fills picking exercise like this is what rhythm playing is all about.

Ex. 11-3 has chord tone based fills in every other measure. Ex. 11-5 has chord tone fills every other measure. These fills you're looking for are all created with chord tones.

In 52 Rhythm Fills & Variations, Ex 1.1 - Ex. 1.4 have exactly the fills your looking for. Ex. 1-7 - Ex. 1-20 have more of the exact fills your looking for. Any time you see the individual notes between the double stops, those are your fills.

If you have them, 20 Turn Around and Ending Licks are all chord tone fills.

Check it out. Listen to the examples, especially in the 52 Rhythm Fills & Variations. I think you overlooked them.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Bjarne

Thanks again.
You have given me some interesting things to look into.
And I will also look into "20 Turn Around and Ending Licks".

Best regards
Bjarne
Norway