Lesson 3 - Error in chord diagrams?

DudeNotinaHat

Blues Newbie
Hi everyone, in the book to accompany the course, pages 15-16, I think Fret 7 is shown in the wrong place on the chord diagrams. It is one fret too high. Can anyone else confirm this, or am I having a really bad day?
Thanks

JohnJ

Blues Newbie
Not sure what you are asking but when I look at the C9 on page 16 it show the D of the chord fingered on the 7th fret 1st finger. Looking at the video in example 3-1 this is how Griff is playing the chord.

DudeNotinaHat

Blues Newbie
Not sure what you are asking but when I look at the C9 on page 16 it show the D of the chord fingered on the 7th fret 1st finger. Looking at the video in example 3-1 this is how Griff is playing the chord.

Errrr...sorry but in the video we see this
upload_2017-10-5_19-26-51.png
where fingers are on frets 7 and 8

but if I'm reading the chord diagram correctly on page 16 the fingers are on frets 8 & 9.

JohnJ

Blues Newbie
I see what you are saying. I guess the 7fr could be moved down a little. I glanced at other chord diagrams in the book and they are the same way.When I look at the the diagram I see fingers on the 7th and 8th fret.

DudeNotinaHat

Blues Newbie
Thanks, I come from a lifetime of being an engineering draughtsman, and read all diagrams very precisely. It’s habit, I can’t help it!!!
I’m going to go through my book now and correct it.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
There's a bit of confusion in terminology. You don't play on frets, you play between them. So you actually "play a fret" by placing your finger behind it.

Ex: The fret marker (dot) at the 5th fret is actually between the 4th and 5th fret. This is where you place your finger to "play the 5th fret".

In Griff's diagrams he is telling you which "fret" to play. He isn't pointing out the actual number of the fret.

In his A7 diagram back on page 13 he has 5fr, meaning that your finger is actually between the 4th and 5th fret. He isn't referring to the actual fret next to 5fr ,which would be the 4th; i.e. he's not labeling the fret, he's telling you which fret you play behind, which would be the next fret, the 5th.

Following his convention, the C9 on page 16 is played with you first finger behind the 7th fret, between the 6th and 7th.

You are correct that if he was numbering the frets themselves it would say 6th fret where it says 7th, but he's telling you to play the 7th "fret" not labeling the frets themselves.

Notice in your screen-shot above that his first finger is directly on the 7th fret dot. This is where we play the "7th fret" even though it is actually between the 6th and 7th fret.

It's just a matter of convention in chord diagrams. Sometimes authors place a number next to an actual fret they are referring to and sometimes, like here, they refer to the "space" between the actual frets; i.e. the position where you place your first finger.

DudeNotinaHat

Blues Newbie
Thank you!
I was just studying this again, and the penny dropped, and I understood what was going on just as your answer popped up.
Confusion is now resolved - at least I’m an attentive student...now on to the next lesson, 9ths, hmmm...