Lesson #27 - Almost Alone, Solo 1

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Here's the first in a series of three solos (lesson's 27-29) covering the keys of E, A, and G. I like the idea of focusing on each of the common acoustic keys and learning their fingerings. There was no "backing track" for this solo, so I made my own, just strumming along with Griff's track before I put down my lead track. (The rhythm was almost more challenging than the solo!)

Almost Alone, Solo 1 (E)

Thanks for listening!

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Great playing jmin. Really like the backing track you laid down but the solo was the icing on the cake. Great feel and touch. Sounding great!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Great playing jmin. Really like the backing track you laid down but the solo was the icing on the cake. Great feel and touch. Sounding great!
Thanks, Ivan! The recording of this was sort of convoluted. First, I just recorded the rhythm track with Griff. Then I did the solo with his track. I just tried to remove his track from the final mix, but it didn't really work. My rhythm was off enough, and my solo was off enough that, even though they sort of worked with Griff's track, they didn't work alone, together (huh?!). I ended up just soloing over my backing track. I think if I did it again (which I have to do 2 more times) I'll just use a click track to do the rhythm backing. It's less confusing. I confuse easily.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Nicely done jmin. As usual. Keep going, you're going to love St. Louis Blues when you get there. It's still in my repertoire.

Eric

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Nicely done jmin. As usual. Keep going, you're going to love St. Louis Blues when you get there. It's still in my repertoire.
Eric
Thanks Eric! I have to admit, I’ve been fearing St. Louis Blues since I first saw it when I started the course (about two years ago!). The song sounds great! A little tricky, but that’s not what scares me. It’s really loooong! When I saw the pages of music I just said, “Well, this’ll take me at least a year.” I’m very slow at learning this stuff.
Thanks for the “keep going,” the motivation really does help!

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Man, that’s really nice. The way you chose to record the backing track was a good idea, and the solo was super clean!

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Eric! I have to admit, I’ve been fearing St. Louis Blues since I first saw it when I started the course (about two years ago!). The song sounds great! A little tricky, but that’s not what scares me. It’s really loooong! When I saw the pages of music I just said, “Well, this’ll take me at least a year.” I’m very slow at learning this stuff.
Thanks for the “keep going,” the motivation really does help!

It is long but it has repeats so you only have to learn half as much as the song is long :)

You're doing great! I posted my recordings here when I was 80% comfortable with them as that's usually when I go on to the next exercise. I should probably get set up for recording again and post some "finished" stuff.

Eric