Lesson 23 and Major pentatonic confusion

LarryMolter

Blues Newbie
In the course, it's mentioned that you can play G Minor pentatonic box 1 at fret 3, and by playing box 2 starting at the same fret (3), you get the G Major pentatonic. I understand this fine.

But... A family member I play with (and who got me interested in playing the blues) likes the blues in E. So, I start in box 4 at fret 7 on the D (5th) string. This is ok, right? But which box pattern do I play at fret 7 to play the Major blues scale? I can move down 3 frets and play box 4 there, but Griff mentioned that it's easier to stay put and just play a different box. But which one?

Am I over-analyzing this? Just can't get my head around it.

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
In the course, it's mentioned that you can play G Minor pentatonic box 1 at fret 3, and by playing box 2 starting at the same fret (3), you get the G Major pentatonic. I understand this fine.

But... A family member I play with (and who got me interested in playing the blues) likes the blues in E. So, I start in box 4 at fret 7 on the D (5th) string. This is ok, right? But which box pattern do I play at fret 7 to play the Major blues scale? I can move down 3 frets and play box 4 there, but Griff mentioned that it's easier to stay put and just play a different box. But which one?

Am I over-analyzing this? Just can't get my head around it.

5th String 7th Fret E - Minor is box 4, Major is box 5 - up the neck - to the right for righties - left for us lefties

Minor box for root note by string
6th, 1st - Box 1
5th - Box 4
4th - Box 2
3rd - Box 5
2nd - Box 3

For Major increase, Box Number by 1 - ie 1st, 6th - Box 2 and so on.

Others more knowledgeable, @Paleo comes to mind, may pipe up and explain better:D

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@CaptOblivious has it covered.

As you discovered with G minor/G Major, you can stay in position by playing Box 1 and Box 2 from the same roots on strings 6, 4 and 1.

As you move up the neck, the Major Box will always be the next box “up” from the minor, but played from the same roots.

To stay in the same position as E minor Box 4 (roots on strings 5 and 3) you play E Major Box 5, same roots.

Last edited: