lesson 14 revisit with lead improv

johnc

systematic
A few years back I learnt this lesson and at the time a member was asking me about my Taylor T5 and what it sounded like so, to give a contrast I recorded the rhythm lesson 14 using the clean piezo PU's and improvised a quick lead using the humbucker PU over the rhythm. So same guitar, two very different sounds.
Anyway that is water under the bridge but when I was listening back to it recently, I wondered how I came up with the simple little lead part in just a couple of takes, just improvising in as much as just what came to my fingers at the time really. Nothing complicated, no pressure, it was just to hear the guitars sound.
I have heard others doing decent quick little improved leads but it doesn't happen that way for me so I remember thinking "I must be getting better" lol
Anyway I thought as an exercise for myself, For the first time ever, I would transcribe my own improvised lead I used for that demo and actually learn it as my own guitar lesson because I actually liked what I played for once.
It took me nearly all day to play it back and tab it out and try and learn it. Some bits I just can't seem to reproduce surprisingly but to be expected I guess.

A strange thing I noticed when transcribing it, after scratching my head a bit wondering what the hell I had done? what key did I play the lead in? anyway I realised I must have done the whole thing pretty much in Bb Major pentatonic so not real bluesy..well I still liked it.

So here it is played this week on my bits and pieces Strat for the clean and my Chibson LP for the lead:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqmzh2apzeb4a3z/lesson 14 BGU2 with lead 2.mp3?dl=0

Here is the original from a few years back on the T5, which I think my playing was better back then by the way..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uigm3j1r27uoxvj/BGU Gospel Blues Lesson 14 on T5, Johnc 2.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:
Nicely done John. I liked both tracks. The the Chipson LP lead over backing on the Taylor T5 would be nice too.
I bet you enjoyed playing with it, i tried that lesson 14 the other day after not having looked at it for two years.
It was difficult. Thanks for sharing.

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
I liked both versions. Most songs I hear like on the Voice or Idol, I tell my wife that they aren't getting my 99 cents (the cost to get the song on itunes). Well, sir, you have my 99 cents.