Lesson 11.3

artyman

Fareham UK
You have a nice tone, though there were some timing issues when doing the picking, have a listen and be self critical. It's difficult when you start but a better feel comes with more practice. I still have timing issues occasionally, just ask the guys I play with at church :ROFLMAO:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
There were quite a few spots where you were rushing the beat. Try listening to the bass to feel the downbeat. Also are you playing a steady down/up picking pattern and just skipping over strings when they are not played? I.e. down on 1 2 3 4 and up on the "and"s.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Another suggestion- go back and watch the videos again. You will probably pick up some things you missed the first time.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
The chords are nice and clear and the notes are clean. The only thing that I hear is that the timing in parts is a bit rushed. You always do get back into time for the next phrase just to rush a bit in the next part too.

I think what is happening is that you are concentrating so much on what you are doing that you're losing the band. Listening to the music (musicians if playing live) is important and I know from my own learning experience that it is easy to get focused on playing that next chord and forget about the band. :)

It takes time and practice to develop the feel for playing with a group. I might suggest trying it slower. If you use Audacity or a software DAW you can try slowing the song down to about 75% or so. The changes won't come so quickly and you can relax and try to blend in with the whole band since you won't feel you have to get to the next chord immediately, get the feel that you are part of the music rather than separate from it. Does that make sense?

Griff has written that in the blues it is always better to be a bit late than a bit early. Relax and don't get to the next chord too quickly.

Is that the kind of feedback you are looking for?

Eric

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Suggest trying 11-1, the basic chord changes without the fills and also counting. Check the video.

All feedback is intended to be helpful, even if it might hurt a bit.