Lesson 10.2

Randal

Blues Newbie
I do not understand how to mute the strings.
Do I try to mute all the strings except for the one being played or just mute the string underneath the note being played.
I cant see his fingers to tell how to mute.
Thanks for your help.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
I'm slowly making progress muting strings. I find that both hands come in to play depending on what you're doing. Sometimes it's picking hand palm muting, sometimes it's picking hand fingers touching the unused strings, sometimes it's fretting fingers that are being used to fret a note on an adjacent string, sometimes it's unused fretting fingers on different strings.

I find string muting to be the biggest unexpected challenge in playing a decent guitar that has some resonance and sustain. Dead guitars that play like clubs don't usually present muting problems.

Which strings to mute? That's easy. The ones that are creating that dull roar that should not be heard behind your picked notes!

I wish you the best in your string muting efforts. It's not easy, at least at first. But it is possible.

Have you tried Lesson 10? For me, that's a string muting nightmare. I still don't have it quite right but I'm getting better.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I was playing lesson 10 (SRV's Pride & Joy) and realized that most of the muting was coming from my LEFT hand (fretboard), not the palm of my right. Just lightly lifting your fretting fingers is a very effective mute. And if you watch SRV's video, he is clearly "slapping" his fretting hand (left) up and down. I think the technique(s) depend on the song and type of muting desired.

JimFC

Blues Newbie
I'm really struggling with 10.2 - curious as to how long it took for those who finally managed to play it decently.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
It's probably one of the hardest rhythms to get! I think I spent at least a couple of months on it...and still practice it almost every time I pick up the guitar! One of those things you can't practice enough (like scales)!

JimFC

Blues Newbie
Thanks - I agree! Slowly coming, but I imagine it is going to take quite a bit of practice. I now include it in my daily practice routine. Although not clearly stated in the video, I assume the secret with the bass line is muffling the unwanted strings with the fretting hand so just the desired bass strings ring out?