Left Hand Fingernail Length

R

raburn

I'm two months into BBG. Calluses are coming along, but not completely there. It seems as the calluses firm up, they provide a better contact base to the strings that will help prevent leftover fleshy finger parts stop muting the nearby strings. That and proper fingering of course. My question is, how does (if it does at all) fingernail length affect the ability to prevent the fleshy parts of the finger muting or buzzing the nearby strings? The ring finger in particular is my Achilles heal. Will a callus eventually form that makes the muting or buzzing less? As an entrepreneurial aside, I think if I were a surgeon, I could make millions by offering ring-finger-tip liposuction.

Bluesgrass

Blues Newbie
I have three ideas to help your situation.  Bends, bends and more bends.  Even if your not making music, just bend a note and hold it (or work your vibrato).  I've been working the solo to Pink Floyd's "Time" (on acoustic no less) and my middle finger and ring finger callouses are rock solid!  To the point that I freak my kids out by sticking a toothpick in my fingertip and it stays.  Also, keep your nails on your fretting hand short as they will interfere with getting a good grip on the chords; and could possibly catch on the stings and create unwanted noise.  Here's to sore fingers  [smiley=beer.gif]

R

raburn

I have three ideas to help your situation.  Bends, bends and more bends.  Even if your not making music, just bend a note and hold it (or work your vibrato).  I've been working the solo to Pink Floyd's "Time" (on acoustic no less) and my middle finger and ring finger callouses are rock solid!  To the point that I freak my kids out by sticking a toothpick in my fingertip and it stays.  Also, keep your nails on your fretting hand short as they will interfere with getting a good grip on the chords; and could possibly catch on the stings and create unwanted noise.  Here's to sore fingers  [smiley=beer.gif]

Aha! Bends for increasing callouses! Makes sense to me! However, I do think I'll save my toothpicks for my teeth, but you may have the seed of a new revolution in guitar picking style using toothpicks stuck in your fingertips for interesting *licks* -- especially if the toothpicks are those mint-flavored ones.

But more seriously, after I posted my question, I looked around and found a technique that I've been using with success -- fingering the chords with as light a touch as possible. This of course keeps the flesh away from the strings. Getting used to that is like changing your golf swing because of the different muscle memory that needs relearning. Interestingly, using a lighter touch puts me into a *zone* where I *feel* the music better. It's like creating a fine rock sculpture using a detailed chisel instead of a rock hammer. It's more artful and pleasing.

As for sore fingers from the bends, have you tried soothing them by soaking them in beer?  :D

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
"Touch" is a relatively subjective issue....some people play with a heavy hand and other are ultra light...I tend to be somewhere in the middle....I've found the more relaxed your hands are, the better it will all work..in this case less may be more...

...the amount of pressure to make a chord is difference for me than the pressure needed to bend/vibrato strings...it's all a matter of practice...which is why I try to use TV commercial time...softly in terms of volume (per the mrs) to work on my bends...callouses are something that require constant upkeep....and again practice, practice, practice...later.

cowboy

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Prevention of buzzing is more about technique (practice, practice, practice) than nail length (we are not talking Ming The Merciless length right?) Calouses may help, but they will get there with Practice. I find that my calouses vary depending on how much bending I'm doing vs chord strumming over a few days.

Bluesgrass

Blues Newbie
I've been thinking about this thread lately.  There seems to be a big difference in the callous debate between electric and acoustic.  I probably work about 70% acoustic and 30% electric.  Hard fingers are definitely a must for acoustic, if for no other reason than you can play a lot longer and not have it hurt as bad.  When I switch to electric, the strings feel like elastic by comparison and hard fingers make for great tone.  Any thoughts?

R

raburn

I've been thinking about this thread lately.  There seems to be a big difference in the callous debate between electric and acoustic.  I probably work about 70% acoustic and 30% electric.  Hard fingers are definitely a must for acoustic, if for no other reason than you can play a lot longer and not have it hurt as bad.  When I switch to electric, the strings feel like elastic by comparison and hard fingers make for great tone.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the re-reply, Bluesgrass. Because I'm trying to create muscle memory, I'm intentionally avoiding acoustic because of the slightly different neck widths/string spacing between electric and acoustic. Until I'm at least at intermediate+ playing ability, I want solid muscle memory for clean electric fingering with no buzz.

Part of the solid, clean, individual-string sound, in my so-far limited knowledge, IS strongly dependent on the "hard fingers" phrase you mention in your reply. Hard fingers are a must. That brings me back to why I originally asked about fret-hand fingernail length. Should ANY part of the fingernails be touching the strings, or should only calloused flesh be touching the strings?

Bluesgrass

Blues Newbie
Personally, I find it best to have real short finger nails, but maybe because I bite them, I need a good excuse.  I don't know about anybody else but fingertip flesh is all that touches my fret boards.  I even make people trim their nails before they can play my guitars....kidding. 

blueshawk

Blues Newbie
I keep nails on my fretting hand as short as possible. My problem was when bending, the nails would often grab the string and create noise on the pull-off. The curious thing is with short nails, the caluses grow higher toward the nail, a good thing I think.