Learning the New Chord's Names

L

Lame_Pinkey

ok so why do we not bend the 5th , I love to bend the 5th , sounds like you are kicking the neighbors cat at 4:00 am - now dats da blues !

LP

Chief Rick

Struggling but Determined Intermediate Level
Most of the chord shapes I can relate to, if I just remember which string is on the root.  However, in lesson 4 of BGU, the little D9 and E9 chords don't even contain the root note.  Those I just have to try to memorize without something to anchor my brain.  I will have to advance a loooonnngg way before I can figure out immediately that when I am playing the little E9, that it is a G#, D, F#, and B and make sense of that in my head.  I can do it on paper, but who has the time when you're playing a song?   :(

Chief Rick

Struggling but Determined Intermediate Level
Actually, I just tried, and I can't even do it on paper.   :'(  It sounds good in the exercise, though.   :eek:

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Actually, I just tried, and I can't even do it on paper.   :'(  It sounds good in the exercise, though.   :eek:

This is just a guess so someone jump in if I'm wrong but aren't the roots for those 9th chords implied?  For the ones on page 22 for example the D and E9's roots would be on the 5th string on the fret with the barre. 

hapiper

Blues Newbie
The chords I learned a long time ago I still remember for the most part but now-a-days forget it. I generally know chord shapes and I can tell by the root is it is a B or an A (of that type chord) but that is about as far as it goes. I almost always have to write the chord names down in the margins of my music before I can play a piece without stopping to look in my chord book every 15 seconds. I bought a nice blank TAB book and at the bottom of each page they have diagrams you can fill in for the chords as well, very handy for me. If I use a new chord a LOT I will eventually remember it though.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
This is old but to learn chords you have to spend time on them every day you play. Open chords and movable chords.

You need to learn the strings and notes along the fretboard. Eddy Ate Dynamite Good Boy Eddy. Get fretboard diagrams blank and fill in the notes.

Its going to take time and consistency in developing practice habits good luck you will get there!