learning rhythm

71fast

Blues Newbie
I have been trying to self teach myself guitar for about a year. I have stumbled along the way but still at it. I finally ordered BBG and am glad I did. One of my biggest issues is rhythm. My question is, can rhythm be learned or is it just something you have? Has anyone who has taken this course developed rhythm that they did not have already? Did you already have rhythm but learned how to use it in playing blues guitar? I really enjoy the guitar and the blues and will never give it up.I have come a long way from not being able to play one note to what I have accomplished and only plan on going foward.Playing guitar is my out. My me time
Thanks
Mike

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Hey Mike. Rhythm is all about counting out loud and tapping your foot as you go. Perhaps some people have better rhythm than others but I think everyone has to develop rhythm by working on these same fundamentals. I suggest that you look at Griff's Strumming and Rhythm Mastery course. I took it and it helped me a lot!! Yes BBG is a very good course too, it will help you open the door. But the Strumming and Rhythm Mastery Course is what I think would take you a long way!! :thumbup:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
A friend of mine played guitar for about 40 years and couldn't play in bands because he had no sense of rhythm at all. He had a yoga instructor actually help him. I couldn't find the exact exercises she had him do but this short video sounds like it is really close. He said he felt silly doing the exercises but he persisted daily doing this for about 6 months and it really helped him. The exercises are not about playing guitar but about developing an internal rhythm and synchronizing that with external sources (like playing guitar music). Not having rhythm just means you aren't sycnhronizing.

You just need a metronome and a quiet place to concentrate. Ignore the yoga pants and just do what the instructor teaches :)

Last edited:

70sRock

Blues-Rock Infused
Jalapeno thanks, very helpful.

On a lighter side, I can now visualize Griff's next new course and how he has changed his counting.:LOL:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Careful. You may have just added Yoga Pants to the never ending list of what gear is necessary to play Blues guitar.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

TerryH

Blues Newbie
By rhythm I assume you mean playing in time.The problem I had in the beginning is that I could play along with the backing tracks, but not perfectly. Counting really is the answer. But it took quite a lot of practice. I was about halfway though BBG before I could get it. I struggled in particular when the rest was on the beat. What worked for me was to listen to the tracks without playing and count the beats, and then try to play along - then repeat etc. Griff recommends counting out loud. Sometimes I do this when I am learning something new. Sometimes I just count in my head. I always count the rests i.e. one - and two - and three etc. or one and a two and a three. Playing in time might come more naturally to some people, but I suspect that we do all have a sense of rhythm (somewhere!). I started BBG thinking that this was going to be my weak point, but now it it’s not something I have to think about too much.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
That's where I've been going wrong all these years....now where's that baggy pants shop. :D

Bob630

Blues Newbe
If you so inclined, you may want to consider theStrumming & Rhythm Mastery course. It is all about timing and rhythm. I am only up to lesson 2. Timing is critical.