Learning Note Names

Kimball

Blues Newbie
On the Main page of the PracGen is the title "General". Click on that and you will see
I asked the help desk if this is a lesson that can be purchased. The reply was, "Learning Note Names is a survey to find out how far you are in learning note names. It is not a course."

If it's not a course, why is it on the PracGen? If it's a survey, how do I take it? If it is a course, how can I get it and why isn't it in the catalog?

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It's not any course that I've seen, and I don't think it's actually a survey, but Griff has a method listed within one of his courses (can't remember which).
I think what you are seeing is an Activity to put on your to do list meaning: "What ever method you chose to use, allocate time to this task in your daily practice".

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Learning Note Names is Lesson 3 in Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed.

Griff explains his method which includes starting on the 6th string and playing every note up to the 12 fret on each string in order: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 ,1 and then in reverse. Griff briefly mentions this approach in another course.

This is the order to play each note, all of each and then move to the next:

C – G – D – A – E – B – F# - C# - Ab – Eb – Bb - F -- each note is the 5th of the previous notes scale.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Olivia

the lady sings the blues
Learning Note Names is Lesson 3 in Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed.

Griff explains his method which includes starting on the 6th string and playing every note up to the 12 fret on each string in order: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 ,1 and then in reverse. Griff briefly mentions this approach in another course.

C – G – D – A – E – B – F# - C# - Ab – Eb – Bb - F -- each note is the 5th of the previous notes scale.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

It is definitely lesson 3 of ABGU and I also remember Griff sending that very lesson a good while back in one of his emails (for free) but I don't know which one it is off hand... maybe someone else has a link to it ???

"Learning Note Names" is not a course as such. It's what Griff calls a "roadmap" and just a method to memorise the notes in order, and as HotLks mentions above each is the 5th of the previous note scale, but if that doesn't make any sense it does not matter as far as learning the notes on the fretboard goes...
Start with C on each string (from low to high and back from high to low)
then when you've got C learn G, then D, etc...

If you don't know where to find the notes on the fretboard just ask, starting with C
All the best
Olivia

Last edited:

Kimball

Blues Newbie
Thanks to you all for your input. This forum is like having a dozen personal research assistants!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Also, Kim, I think I fixed that link in the Practice Generator and added a section to the member area called "Extras" that has that lesson for any member, not just as part of ABGU or SWS (the 2 courses I believe it has appeared in.)

I've been meaning to put some other things in there as well so this finally gave me the impetus to get started with that.

Griff

david moon

Attempting the Blues
While learning the cycle of 5ths, learning the note names on the 6th and 5th strings is also a useful exercise.

mark perry

Midnight Blue
It is definitely lesson 3 of ABGU and I also remember Griff sending that very lesson a good while back in one of his emails (for free) but I don't know which one it is off hand... maybe someone else has a link to it ???

"Learning Note Names" is not a course as such. It's what Griff calls a "roadmap" and just a method to memorise the notes in order, and as HotLks mentions above each is the 5th of the previous note scale, but if that doesn't make any sense it does not matter as far as learning the notes on the fretboard goes...
Start with C on each string (from low to high and back from high to low)
then when you've got C learn G, then D, etc...

If you don't know where to find the notes on the fretboard just ask, starting with C
All the best
Olivia
I am so new to guitar and only played bits i have seen and then copied ... So Whoever Thankyou so much for this tut ... I can and will use it in my daily programme to learn where the notes are ... this should be re posted for any new NEW players ... Thank you Griff for originally poting this

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griif has also slightly revised it and included it in his new course Classic Rock Unleashed.