Learning Blues Harp ?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm glad you like him! I have exchanged a number of emails with him several times over the years and find myself really liking his approach. He takes a lot of pride in his courses. Much like Griff, at the slightest hint of a problem or complaint he jumps all over it to fix the issue. Let me know if you have any problems playing single notes as I have a really good resource for that.

Also, make sure to start off with a good quality harp as there is a huge difference in playability between a cheap one and a moderately priced one. If you don't want to spend much and don't mind buying from China, these are the best budget harps I've ever seen: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000054733027.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1bba4c4dflwbS4. I have a complete practice/backup set, and they sound and play very well (the price on Amazon is about double). Otherwise, any of the German or Japanese made $25+ harps will generally be reasonably good.

Yeah, I have no ability to play single note on purpose. They come out randomly now and then.
So my $30 set of 7 harps won't cut it?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, I have no ability to play single note on purpose. They come out randomly now and then.
So my $30 set of 7 harps won't cut it?

You can do it, but you will probably need to work harder than you would otherwise. Inexpensive harps usually have looser tolerances and will leak air, so you have to huff and puff a lot more, and the amount of breath needed and the volume from one note to another will be inconsistent. It's like learning to play guitar on an instrument that desperately needs a setup and has super high action and inconsistent string spacing. You can do it, but you will end up having fight the instrument in the process.

I would start off with what you've got and find a good quality C harp to add to the collection. Seydel Blues Sessions and Suzuki Blues Masters are around the $30 range and really good. The Seydel Session Steel is around $60 but has stainless steel reeds that take a lot of abuse. Lots of guys like the Honer Marine Band, but they have wooden combs (with great tone) that are held together with nails and are difficult to clean, tune, or service. My personal favorites are the Seydel Blues Session, Session Steel, and the Suzuki Manji.

Seriously, for a very low-price starter or practice set, consider the EastTops. I practice with mine all the time and could easily rely on them for jams. I just don't like the ones painted in the matte black finish because it tends to cause some friction when moving around quickly compared to the blue or chrome ones.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I always liked the Hohner special 20's, like Paleo I used to play straight harp to Neil Young and Dylan tunes, In my first band we covered "The River" by Springsteen and "Maryjane's Last Dance" by Petty and I played the harp parts

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I've got a Hohner Remaster (made in Germany and similar construction to the Special 20) that I bought a few years ago. They're a special issue that were only made one year and only in C. Really well made and go for less than $20. Also have the Ben Hewitt course based on Elio's recommendation. I never got very far with it, but I do like Ben's style. Maybe it's time to try again?

ingog

Started in 2009
Just started about 6 months ago. I use harmomica.com. Purchased the basic course then the blues course. His belief is that you learn single notes first. You learn to play clean. His lessons are about 6 minutes each. He is funny, relaxed and lets you progress at your own rate. He is very specific. He even put the camera in his mouth so you can see the location of is tongue.. I learned quickly. Then came the blue course. The man know how to teach.
I purchase a inexpensive Hohner C harp. Then with the blues course I upgraded to a Hohner special 20. One of the least expensive quality harps. Make sure its a C (G blues). He has what he calls blues templates. I'm very pleased with it. It took me a month to learn the 2 hole draw. Now I'm learning bending.