Kalamazoom

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Just curious about scalability & flexibility of platforms like JamKazam.

On the scalability side: While I was on the Kalamazoom call, I think the highest number of participants that I saw was about 13 or 14. Did we ever get more than that?

On the flexibility side: I know that Jamkazam can support players and and "audience" (or at one time it did). 14 people all set up as players might exceed the bandwidth capabilities, but I KNOW it can support three players. If we had the ability to have three players collaborate and the rest set up as "audience" plus the ability to change individuals roles (swap people back and forth). I'm wondering if that might work.
I haven't used JK since some time last year, so I don't know if it's gotten any better or not. Thoughts?

The latest JamKazam can also live stream to FaceBook and I believe YouTube, as well as through it's own platform. That would easily allow people to just watch, versus participate. With a predefined group list and schedule, one approach might be to simply rotate players through as participants at pre-determined times while the audience watches the livestream.

...to address @artyman's concern, someone on a 32 bit O/S would be able to watch the livestream but not participate.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
JamKazam doesn't seem to like my computer (no surprise there).
I had an old copy of the JK client, which it updated.
I went through the audio setup again and it showed my Eleven Rack and my Studio Live Mixer as audio devices.
I ran the audio test on the 11r and it failed miserably (no surprise there, it did that years ago when I first tried JK). So I ran the test on the Studio Live Mixer and it appeared to like it, showing around 4ms of latency.
At some point thereafter JK crashed. Now I'm getting an error telling me an audio driver is preventing JK from processing audio and suggests I start juggling my USB devices. It's a fatal error that closes the JK client as soon as I acknowledge the error message. Considering the efforts I took to get OBS studio set up so I can mix/record audio and video simultaneously and also stream via Zoom, I'm not inclined to go fooling around just to make JK work on this computer.

I know @Alan B. Go. uses it and loves it. There are probably others, but right now, it's a non-starter for me.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I went through the audio setup again and it showed my Eleven Rack and my Studio Live Mixer as audio devices.
I ran the audio test on the 11r and it failed miserably (no surprise there, it did that years ago when I first tried JK). So I ran the test on the Studio Live Mixer and it appeared to like it, showing around 4ms of latency.
At some point thereafter JK crashed. Now I'm getting an error telling me an audio driver is preventing JK from processing audio and suggests I start juggling my USB devices. It's a fatal error that closes the JK client as soon as I acknowledge the error message. Considering the efforts I took to get OBS studio set up so I can mix/record audio and video simultaneously and also stream via Zoom, I'm not inclined to go fooling around just to make JK work on this computer.

I know @Alan B. Go. uses it and loves it. There are probably others, but right now, it's a non-starter for me.
I doubt my DSL connection would be good enough

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

I'm in a similar boat with JK. As soon as I launch it, I get a Dialog Box that says "JamKazam Not Responding" at the top.

I had hoped to get beyond this issue, but so far no joy.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Yes, a brilliant job Kevin & Lloyd.(y)(y) Thank you.(y) It was great seeing all the guys, and putting faces to the names that I've known for so long.:)

Here's hoping should we ever have to do it again, that by then technology will have progressed to the point where we'll be able to jam together in real time. That would be really cool.:cool:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
we'll be able to jam together in real time. That would be really cool.:cool:
Wouldn't it be possible for (say-like) me and Many Moons being able to play together ,by just leaving both mics on? Like when brothers are just chatting and you have 2-3 people in the conversation. Facial video may be a little hard but it seems to me it should work. But I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this stuff. Later

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I believe only one mic is actually active at a time. If you notice when you talk the focus switches to your screen. I haven't noticed if the other window audios gets buffered or dropped. But either way It wouldn't really work for 2 instruments to play together.

cheers

Al.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
OK-- just a idea---the other day when I was there---I noticed my picture was time delayed when I moved it took close to 3-4 seconds would go by before it came on the screen.-On one song I was looking at the monitor and the chord I was playing was G but the visual showed me in a C it goofed me up a little, I was wondering if maybe I was playing in the wrong key. It really didn't matter because I was playing out of key---My tuner had me 3/4 sharp- Instead of playing in G- I was way closer to a A flat/or G sharp whatever you prefer. Guess it was a good thing I wasn't using a backing track or it would have been YIKES>

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
OK-- just a idea---the other day when I was there---I noticed my picture was time delayed when I moved it took close to 3-4 seconds would go by before it came on the screen.-On one song I was looking at the monitor and the chord I was playing was G but the visual showed me in a C it goofed me up a little, I was wondering if maybe I was playing in the wrong key. It really didn't matter because I was playing out of key---My tuner had me 3/4 sharp- Instead of playing in G- I was way closer to a A flat/or G sharp whatever you prefer. Guess it was a good thing I wasn't using a backing track or it would have been YIKES>
I noticed on Zoom that the performances coming into my computer were pretty garbled, hopefully mine going out wasn't as bad, I don't think my connection is good enough to handle music well or maybe it's the Zoom platform which I've read is more suited for conversation