Just purchased this course

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I took advantage of the 40% off sale to purchase this course today. Unfortunately, I am currently quite busy trying to work my way through a large paper for school. Once, I am through with that, it will be time for some serious woodshedding. I am not a stranger to CAGED. In fact, I was shown this idea of movable chords many years ago. I also have the Fretboard Logic series, but found the instruction to be really dry and hard to get through. Being familiar and fond of Griff's teaching style, I am hoping this will be more useful to me. I like that he gives some practical application and methods for practicing. Looking forward to it.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Now that I'm nearly complete with my move to Tahoe for woodshedding and skiing for the winter. My first new course I've been planning is the CAGED course. I'm looking forward to it!! :Beer:

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
A lot of Griff's courses have been purchased. I like them all. But they are all too advanced to tell the truth. I thought this CAGED course would be a beginners course, but it isn't. Nonetheless, I've practiced the 'C' maneuvers for about 2 months and almost there at changing chords each second (60bpm). E to D is about 1/45, D to E is 60. In addition to this, Griff's Pentatonic Mastery course was obtained. All I do for 2 or 3 hours a day is play chords and scales at 60bpm with the Japanese made mechanical metronome. My wife says I suck at guitar. But the key, imo after 1 year, is to get the basics down. It's often wondered though if the time spent on CAGED could be better spent. The reason for that is you guys say it's not a beginners course. Anyway, it's a lot fun trying.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
I do a lot of drilling on mechanics. Maybe that's why I don't play many things. Sometimes I think I'll never get past the drilling. But at some point I think I'll move on. Then I expect to sound good. All that learning good technique and habits should produce results. I've started looking more to putting together creative arrangements of what I've learned and looking to creating complete works out all my drill material. I don't know. If your not getting bored and it's helping you in some way it should be OK. For me, it relieves stress. My job is very stressful. When I don't enjoy it any more it will be a problem. I find at this early point that CAGED helps me see the fret board in a more complete way. That I like. I don't like sitting down to play and looking at the fret board as a obstacle to making good sounds. I like it when I see all the opportunity it offers to make the great sounds that make me happy.

Keep having FUN!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
A lot of Griff's courses have been purchased. I like them all. But they are all too advanced to tell the truth. I thought this CAGED course would be a beginners course, but it isn't. Nonetheless, I've practiced the 'C' maneuvers for about 2 months and almost there at changing chords each second (60bpm). E to D is about 1/45, D to E is 60. In addition to this, Griff's Pentatonic Mastery course was obtained. All I do for 2 or 3 hours a day is play chords and scales at 60bpm with the Japanese made mechanical metronome. My wife says I suck at guitar. But the key, imo after 1 year, is to get the basics down. It's often wondered though if the time spent on CAGED could be better spent. The reason for that is you guys say it's not a beginners course. Anyway, it's a lot fun trying.

Do you have the Beginning Blues Guitar (BBG) course? Seems like that would be the best place for a beginner to start. I have been playing guitar for about 20 years. Not that anyone could tell from my playing, as I am still an intermediate guitar player at best. I don't think I will have any problems with this course. I just need to finish school so I have more time to practice.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Do you have the Beginning Blues Guitar (BBG) course? Seems like that would be the best place for a beginner to start. I have been playing guitar for about 20 years. Not that anyone could tell from my playing, as I am still an intermediate guitar player at best. I don't think I will have any problems with this course. I just need to finish school so I have more time to practice.

I feel you Brent, it seems I should be much better than I am for as long as I've played, sometimes I think there's a thread of DNA that runs through real musicians and I didn't get any of it!

I also just purchased this course. It is a "learning" course, not a "playing" course. By that i mean it looks like it will develop seeing the whole fretboard and new mental perspective of chords, but does not teach how to play specific songs.

My development is at a point that i can play bar chords rooted on the top two strings, primarily using the E and A shapes or 9th chords. I realized during a jam, on an unfamiliar song, that i was playing exactly the same chord voicings as the other guitarist. Could not come up with good alternatives live and stay in rhythm. Given practice time i could have could have come up with other voicings, but would have taken a LOT of time.

So i bought this course specifically to quickly develop more chord voicing options and equally important a trustworthy practice and development method to get me to a point where i can play them without even subconsciously thinking about it. Get alternate chord locations/shapes ingrained and habitual so to speak.

I just received the course this week and am on lesson 1.
I'll share any discoveries or insights that might help others, but looks like most of the facility will come from hands on practice not from the material itself.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Griff has only one true "Beginners" course Beginning Blues Guitar Unleashed (BBGU), Beyond that, I'd jump into Rhythm (Strumming & Rhythm Mastery, then 52 Rhythm Fills) Maybe BGU next then once you are part of the way through BGU, you can start mixing and matching (I did Soloing Without scales around this time and it gave me the confidence to pull out some solos at jams).

Just my $ .02 YMMV

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I went through DVD 1 tonight. So I just started the course. I really didn't learn anything new considering the 5 basic major chord shapes. I already knew what Griff says he would instruct in 10 or 15 minutes. What I did learn was a better fingering for the D shape and also to practice switching the chords to the 60 beats per minute (a standard for Griff).

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Theres a few more courses im looking at before the 40% deadline today.....but im being very selective for two reasons...one is the fact (like lots of others here) that i have too many courses i havent even opened yet, the other is that the currency adjustment is an extra 30% for us canucks.
So the two courses are the 5 Blues Shapes and the Caged course. Seems like overlap here....i assume the first course material is covered in the second and i should only buy the Caged Unleashed....?

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
caged is completly different mpaq,,, not so much scales as a different way to look at the fret board,,,have you seen the video advertising the caged one?

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Hi Bill...thx, guess i need to take another look. I thought Caged was a system that utilized the 5 chord shapes....

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
yes it does but i think the 5 blues shapes one is just based on miner/major box shapes,, i could be wrong as dont have that one,,,though the caged one is a different method of learning ,,, its hard to describe lol

Last edited:

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I've never " drank the kool aid" on CAGED, so this is one of the few Griff courses I don't have.

For the guys that have dug into this a little - what do you think?

Kevin

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I've never " drank the kool aid" on CAGED, so this is one of the few Griff courses I don't have.

For the guys that have dug into this a little - what do you think?

Kevin

I think it's opened my eyes to how much simpler chords can be found and played, understanding how the intervals are stacked in each shape helps in finding the tones you really want to target. I think of the caged formats I've previewed , this one puts it in a logical usable context, rather than just fret board navigation.