Just another shout out for this great course

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
It's easy to get all LOOK! A SQUIRREL! over the great courses Griff's laid on us, but I'm forcing myself to take time away from geeking and digging out rabbit holes and make certain I'm going through this bread-and-butter stuff—and it's helping loads.

I especially appreciated how quickly he stressed that the barre chord shapes are templates and that in practice I'll rarely be playing the whole things. That was a nice touch and, knowing first hand how frustrating barre can be for mere mortals like moi, encouragement like that probably (almost certainly) helps keep frustrated folks from quitting ere they've barely begun. (y)

The lesson on 9th substitutions has been my favorite thus far, given that's a big deal in the song I'm currently beavering away trying to learn. :Beer:

I agree Mark. of the 20 or so guitar courses I’ve taken, some with live instructors and some without, BGU got me further toward my goals in a shorter period of time than any other. I went through it a second time, after taking Griff’s guitar theory course and doing all the exercises, and got even more out of BGU second time through. I was really reluctant to do the theory course, but glad I did because it accelerated my learning in other courses.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've started BGU at least 3 times and completed it once, but every time I look at it I find a new jewel that I missed the first several times around.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Heh. So. This is why I need to knuckle down and progress with this material. I do spend all the time I can spare on practicing, but there is so much to cover, songs to learn for up-coming events, and life keeps slapping me upside da haid with other stuff than guitarin’.

My point? Just got through the lesson after 9th substitutions. Heh. One of the songs I’m beavering away to be ready for BGU NE has me right there with these chords and I’ve been busting ass learning to finger them the hard way. So, that next lesson? Why I’ve been wasting time and effort. Okay, yeah. Thanks to @tommytubetone for pointing out I needed to get that one under my belt. Now I not only have the useful version sussed, thanks to Griff’s explanation of how to view these chords in a band setting I also worked out a better version of the diminished chord I need, which wasn’t terribly challenging but now is dead easy.

Now to work on playing standing up while singing. And where’s that drink holder for my guitar strap? :Beer:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Heh. So. This is why I need to knuckle down and progress with this material. I do spend all the time I can spare on practicing, but there is so much to cover, songs to learn for up-coming events, and life keeps slapping me upside da haid with other stuff than guitarin’.

My point? Just got through the lesson after 9th substitutions. Heh. One of the songs I’m beavering away to be ready for BGU NE has me right there with these chords and I’ve been busting ass learning to finger them the hard way. So, that next lesson? Why I’ve been wasting time and effort. Okay, yeah. Thanks to @tommytubetone for pointing out I needed to get that one under my belt. Now I not only have the useful version sussed, thanks to Griff’s explanation of how to view these chords in a band setting I also worked out a better version of the diminished chord I need, which wasn’t terribly challenging but now is dead easy.

Now to work on playing standing up while singing. And where’s that drink holder for my guitar strap? :Beer:
We covered strap twisting in another thread. It's hard not to spill your beer while undoing that. Get a drink holder for the mic stand instead. :rolleyes:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
whats funny, so many people talk about how the 9th chords were tough for them, yet for me, they are a go to as they are so easy.........yet, I struggle using the little chords, I keep messing them up

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I'm also having trouble with the little chords. I continue to forget positioning and get all mixed up. For some reason I find playing the full chords easier for me and continue using them instead of the little chords. According to plan, using the little chords is supposed to make things simpler and more efficient, but I can't seem to get them down with any consistency. Go figure. I guess I could look at it as if this is the biggest problem I ever encounter while trying to play the guitar, I'm ahead of the game.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I'm also having trouble with the little chords. I continue to forget positioning and get all mixed up. For some reason I find playing the full chords easier for me and continue using them instead of the little chords. According to plan, using the little chords is supposed to make things simpler and more efficient, but I can't seem to get them down with any consistency. Go figure. I guess I could look at it as if this is the biggest problem I ever encounter while trying to play the guitar, I'm ahead of the game.

It always made me laugh that I struggled on simple chords, thought I was the only one.................the other thing that kills me, switching to a lick while and back to a chord

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
One thing that’s helping me somewhat right now is I’m not trying to finger just those two “little chord” notes. Mini barre doesn’t seem to trouble me as much as arching my fingers to get the tips placed “just so.” I’m realizing that, if I’m using focused picking on the two middle strings, where my fingers go relative to the higher strings isn’t as important; so, I’m starting to use index and ring fingers to mini-barre and (as I get more proficient) eventually mute the high ones.

In the meantime I’m getting a kinda-jazzy sound that I find cool even when I over-reach and hit the treble strings.