July 2022 Challenge - Multiple choice

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Well, we didn't get a consensus for the month, so thanks to @Elwood for coming up with a theme. Use 'em all!

So, this month's challenge is to do a song that meets at least one of the criteria listed below:
  • A song written by or performed by John Lee Hooker
  • A song about adult beverage(s)
  • A song recorded while you were over-imbibing in adult beverages.
  • A shuffle in G
  • A shuffle in Bb
  • A shuffle in A#
  • A song performed by Elvis
  • A song Elvis never performed
  • A song written or performed by Duane Allman
  • A song performed by Buckethead
  • A song with bongos, congas, timbales or djembes (whatever the hell they are). Extra credit for using steel drums, Double extra credit for using a vibraslap.

You get extra credit for combining two or more of the themes in one song. So for example a duet that was performed by Elvis and Buckethead would qualify for double points.

The only rule this month. We don't care where any backup instruments or recordings come from. You must be the featured performer on the recording.

As always, the rules are only suggestions.

Happy July!

P.S. I already have decided on a theme for August, so you don't have to think about that. You're welcome!

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Say what?--- As Abraham Lincoln said---'You can please ALL the people some of the time---you can please some of the people ALL the time---but you can't please ALL the people, ALL the time" .. Lets just do the J.L.Hooker thing ---we can do Elvis later. MTCW
Edit Added: TZ is a solid supporter down here, and so is Many Moons---I think I have already suggested 3 (maybe even 4), more than my fair share; so let it roll. ? By the way "WHO IS BUCKETHEAD"?????? "BEAVIS and BUTTHEAD". I have heard of--

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
  • A shuffle in G
  • A shuffle in Bb
  • A shuffle in A#
I guess you would just modulate once, and if you take "notes", change your notation twice!
'suppose you could still just make something up? (there's always one;)) The "shuffle trifecta", naw, that won't work already....

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'll get this off to an early start. My fingers are shot for the moment, so I have to dig through the archives for one that matches. I'll forewarn you, this is a recycle. So glad I added the option to do one never performed by Elvis. In response to @Ted_Zeppelin's comments about whether an accordion is appropriate, I will add that it is never appropriate... but I added one anyway!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'll get this off to an early start. My fingers are shot for the moment, so I have to dig through the archives for one that matches. I'll forewarn you, this is a recycle. So glad I added the option to do one never performed by Elvis. In response to @Ted_Zeppelin's comments about whether an accordion is appropriate, I will add that it is never appropriate... but I added one anyway!

Oh Baby!
Marvelous :giggle:

Excellent..................loved it!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I am definitely stealing Acapulco Gold thats a given yowser thats a huge hit for someone i can see this making it to #1.

Fine job Lloyd wow wow!

sloslunas

NM Blues

Two paws up on that tune! Nice job...

Steve

Elwood

Blues
whether an accordion is appropriate, I will add that it is never appropriate... but I added one anyway!
and a nice walking bass, and keys, some nice lead, and the perfect fit with the Jim Kweskin style vocals and loping rhythm. I never even got how one could roll those key lines while squeezing the box, if there's something wrong with that I wanna do something wrong too!!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I never even got how one could roll those key lines while squeezing the box
Gravity does most of the work. An accordion player just has to remember when to drop the left hand or raise it to avoid running out of air. I used to envy the guys who had Cordovoxes, which were basically Lowry organs in an accordion case. You didn't even have to unlock the bellows to play those.