John's Hideaway Blues

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
Here's my first stab at Hideaway Blues: https://soundcloud.com/user-144515253/hideaway-blues-20190615

On the plus side, I feel there's some progress, I don't seem to rush as much as I progress through the course.

Unfortunately I am finding this track harder to master, getting beat one on bars 5, 6 and 7 right is a challenge, particularly coming off the triplets at the end of bars 5 and 6.

I'm changing position as I transition from bar 8 to 9 (A7 to E7) and haven't quite figured out how to smooth that out.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Regards, John

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Have you tried using a metronome? Put it on speed slower than you are currently playing and try to keep with it and not speed up. If it still isn’t smooth then slow it down some more. Keep slowing it down until you can get through the whole tune smoothly without speeding up. Once you can do that then gradually start speeding up the tempo of the metronome. Staying with it smoothly.

I’ve found that when I have difficulty with a passage it is because I’m playing it too fast. It sounds counter intuitive but slowing down will help you get up to speed more quickly.

It sounds good and you have all the components under your fingers so I think with some work with a metronome or a backing track of some kind will pull it together.

Eric

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
Thanks Eric,

I haven't really used a metronone, I'll give it a go tonight. I'm certainly guilty of going to fast!

Regards, John