Johnny B Goode

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
One of my favorite CDs, and while the whole album rocks his cut of Johnny B Good @ 36:50 is among the best I ever heard.

I had always thought Rick Derringer had to tap out of the solo @39:10 cause when Johnny's on fire it's that hard to keep up with him all night, but listening today it sounds like an equipment problem. Sorry about that Rick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw4QgrKnVps
My all time favorite album. This introduced me to blues rock and is just as fresh today as when issued. Simply amazing. I’ve owned this on probably 4 different media: album, 8-track, CD, & digital.

Would love to see guitarists like Gary Hoey or Paul Nelson get together with Rick for a tribute to Johnny. Word is that Edgar Winter is about to issue a tribute album.

https://www.goldminemag.com/features/edgar-winter-brother-in-arms

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Excellent album!!! “Captured Live” is another good one, especially his version of “Highway 61 Revisited”.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Oh, JOHNNY B. Goode...I thought you were referring to THE Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry.
My favorite version (slightly biased) was Griff’s 2017 “Roadtrip” performance, where yours truly got to play with the man!!! Of course, Griff blew the doors off my Chuck version, but it was still a highlight for me!
Johnny B Goode is my #1 all-time guitar-playing song. I learned it in high school and it opened every opportunity I ever had to play with a band. Little did they know it was the only song I could play!

Last edited:

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
I’m spoiled forever by Jimi Hedrix’ version of Johnny B Goode. It was the first version I ever heard and now.... No other version sounds better to my ears, sorry

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I’m spoiled forever by Jimi Hedrix’ version of Johnny B Goode. It was the first version I ever heard and now.... No other version sounds better to my ears, sorry
Nothing to be sorry about. If you talking about the Jimi plays Berkeley version I'm right with you. I was always amazed at his left hand action. He switches from rhythm to lead so seamlessly and actually seems to be strumming harder when he's playing lead, and then plants his hand when playing rhythm which gives credit to his amazing muting ability. I can't count the number of times I've watched that video over and over, with my jaw dropped down to the floor.

Last edited:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Gotta agree with Crossroads, I saw this film at the cinema around about 72 and it blew me away even though I was Hendrix fan before that. By the way, how to know you have not done a bad job at being a father? We were having dinner the other night and I asked my 15 year old son (who is into Rap etc.) to put some music on, he chose Electric Ladyland! I was amazed, he said "oh yeh, all the guys at school think Hendrix is cool" I think I felt a tear run down my cheek.