JohnC's Talent Formula & Other Great info!

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Talent  = Daily hours of Practice   X  Persistence and Focus
                    Sore Fingers                            Distractions

Pete R

Blues Newbie
Re: JohnC's Talent Formula!

I really like that!  Here's one I heard the other day:

"An amateur practices until he gets it right.  A professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

NOTE From Chuck: I wouldn't normally do this, hope you don't mind!
 I thought your addition was worthy of a "Bold Print" and increase in Font size!

D

davemoss

Re: JohnC's Talent Formula!

How about, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Here's a note from Richard about progress how much we need to practice.
We tend to think of all the physical gear we have or want as tools for us to use.  We also have our hands to fret with and pick with. We have our minds to learn and process all the information we need to a song or technique.  Do not forget muscle memory is a tool for us to use.  The neuromuscular transmission (the transfer of "information" from the nerve to the muscle) is something we do not think about as being a tool. Muscle memory is very important to us.  It takes about 2,500 repetitions to engrave neuromuscular skills on the subconisious.  Think in terms of 12 bar blues pattern.  "I" chord in 12 bar pattern with quick change and ending turn-a-round happens 6 times in the pattern. "IV" chord is used 4 times and the "V" chord is twice.  To reach the 25 hundred mark for the "I",  it takes 416.67  trys of the chord.  A song with three verses means we play the song 138.88 times for the subconisious mind to have it memorized fully.  The "IV" chord equals 625 trys or 208 songs, "V" equals a whopping 1250 trys or 625 songs.  For us beginners when we think we are not learning and only hit the chord correctly sometimes. Remember we have already started the memory process  and we are closer to our goal.  So pat yourself on the back {for you are doing great} and keep plugging away at BBG. Wink  Richard  

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
I read that persistance is perhaps more important than 'talent': if you do something for 10,000 hours it's highly probable that you will end up doing it very well...

Slange!

[smiley=beer.gif]

J

jrpeel

A very interesting take on practice Mike, I guess I better get started on some reps then [smiley=beer.gif]

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
I keep the 10,000 hour rule in mind..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_%28book%29

let's see at 2 hours/day*365 days/year = 730 hours/year

10,000 hours/730hours/year = 13.7 years

in 13.7 years I'll be 64 years old !!! I'd better try to up the practice time ....

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Chin up Dave..there's a real good statistical probability in 13.7 years I'll be dead. :eek:
That means I'm gonna have to REALLY step up the practice time. ;D

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Chin up Dave..there's a real good statistical probability in 13.7 years I'll be dead. :eek:
That means I'm gonna have to REALLY step up the practice time. ;D

Strato - sobering thought isn't it? I'll put up real money  that says as long as you pursue the guitar that you will come up on the other side of that probability distribution!

Dave AKA Bluewater