January AAP suggestions

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
  • I loved the "Merry Christmas" discussion. I would love to have some more of that (mentioned JustinGuitar's rendition of "Yesterday" as a chord melody arrangement. I'm sure Griff has some stuff in his repertoire that would be awesome!! Maybe "Can't Find My Way Home"?
  • Some stuff on finger-style blues - maybe a fingerstyle arrangement of a blues standard of some kind.
  • There are guitarists that kinda walk an interesting line between country and blues - Danny Gatton comes immediately to mind. Exploring those ideas from both a theory and technique perspective would be fun.
  • Anyone else in love with Pink Floyd? Gilmour has always been a favorite of mine. Not sure what we could do with that, but it seems that he does a lot of pentatonic stuff over progressions that are completely different than what we're used to in blues.
  • Challenge stuff - Griff hit one of my heroes when we dug into Mike Bloomfield, but two other greats IMO are Peter Green and Gary Moore. Albatross. Parisienne Walkways. An instrumental version of "Still Got The Blues" or an instrumental version of "I Need Your Love So Bad" - written by Little Willie John but covered by both Peter Green and Gary Moore! (there is an awesome instrumental version on YouTube as played by someone's grandmother!!)

Jack

Blues Junior
Oh yeah, love the "Can't Find My Way Home" suggestion. A chord melody arrangement of that would be spectacular!

Also second the David Gilmour suggestion - maybe an analysis of what notes he tends to play (or bend to) over which chords - or whatever he does that creates that signature sound of his.

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
Also second the David Gilmour suggestion - maybe an analysis of what notes he tends to play (or bend to) over which chords - or whatever he does that creates that signature sound of his.
Have you discovered Jake Lizzio yet? Signals Music Studio on YouTube. He does a lot on composition and theory. Really a good resource. He did a video a while back where he said the first thing ya gotta do is play over a "Pink-Floyd-y" chord progression. I've learned a few of Gilmour's lines - a lot of stuff from "Wish You Were Here", and he relies a *lot* on pentatonics. He's not real "flash" so it's pretty easy to learn the basics. Getting his "feel" is something else entirely, but it is pretty easy to play along.

Jack

Blues Junior
Have you discovered Jake Lizzio yet? Signals Music Studio on YouTube. He does a lot on composition and theory. Really a good resource. He did a video a while back where he said the first thing ya gotta do is play over a "Pink-Floyd-y" chord progression. I've learned a few of Gilmour's lines - a lot of stuff from "Wish You Were Here", and he relies a *lot* on pentatonics. He's not real "flash" so it's pretty easy to learn the basics. Getting his "feel" is something else entirely, but it is pretty easy to play along.

You don't have to buy a bunch of pedals to sound like David Gilmour? But I paid three hundred bucks for a Keeley Darkside LOL :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding, that's a great video, thanks so much for suggesting it!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I would love to see a class on country, Travis picking, or slide
I've been hesitant to mention anything for January because Griff has taken several of my suggestions the last few months and wanted to be sure that others got a chance to get their ideas in too. Had I been suggesting, I had thought about suggesting a country session. After all, they say that country is just major blues, so it should fit right in. :Beer: