January 2023 Challenge - Multiple Choice

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks to @Elwood for the memory jog about the monthly challenges. With the holidays and some other late in December issues, I completely forgot about stirring the pot for a new theme for January's challenge. Honestly, after @Elwood opened the thread, there weren't a lot of suggestions, so I'm going with a (non)-Executive decision.

January's theme will be multiple choice (like we haven't done that before). This month's ideas were stolen from a Facebook post that continues to resurface about every six months and comes from the idea of naming a song title containing some pre-determined nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns, etc. So for January here are the choices:
  1. A Number
  2. A color (other than blue... way too easy)
  3. A Girl’s Name
  4. A Boy’s Name
  5. A Profession
  6. A Place
  7. If you don't like these choices, you may ignore them and record any song you want.

As always, The recording must feature you, preferably on guitar and/or vocals. However, piano, organ, congas, bongos, accordion, and banjo are also acceptable. Bagpipes will only be allowed if accompanied by a note from your psychiatrist or a sufficient bribe.

Extra credit will be given for using more than one suggestion in a song.

Blues is preferred, but anything vaguely resembling music will be accepted.

Recorded tracks can be as simple as a guitar and vocal or you can hire an entire symphony orchestra to back you up if you choose. Use of backing tracks is also acceptable. Background vocals performed by other people is perfectly OK, as long as it's not barbershop quartet harmony.

Please talk amongst yourselves and see what gems you can put together.

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Wow. Barely four hours after Papa's post and you posting already!!!!:eek: There's a gee-up for the rest of us.

Great playing CB. Lovely atmospheric piece, with some gorgeous tones. You say you recorded it in December? Are you sure you didn't intend it for halloween? It's got that vibe to it.;) Well played sir.(y)(y)

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Wow. Barely four hours after Papa's post and you posting already!!!!:eek: There's a gee-up for the rest of us.

Great playing CB. Lovely atmospheric piece, with some gorgeous tones. You say you recorded it in December? Are you sure you didn't intend it for halloween? It's got that vibe to it.;) Well played sir.(y)(y)
Thanks MM. Yes it could also be Halloweenie. Maybe I’ll post it again in October.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Heres live cover on video with drum and bass track Greg Kihn band the breakup song.

I forgot about this song its from way back but Lana our drummer digs it so we are working on it. I have the real intro part on guitar mostly but ditched it for this recording.

Breakup song ==> Breakup song

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Heres live cover on video with drum and bass track Greg Kihn band the breakup song.

I forgot about this song its from way back but Lana our drummer digs it so we are working on it. I have the real intro part on guitar mostly but ditched it for this recording.

Breaking up is hard to do :sneaky:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss

Living together for a million years???? You don't look a day over 110!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;) Great rhythm work on that John. Well played.(y)

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Living together for a million years???? You don't look a day over 110!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;) Great rhythm work on that John. Well played.(y)

Thanks so much yeah well its always way easier for me being consistent in timing having a real drummer or drum track. I know sorry sometimes I put out some real early stage junk here where I am still finding the timing. That songs just easy for some reason you just have to dive into it ...

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
This is as good a place as any for this one. It's a blues, has a number in the title, and will be familiar in structure and solos with last month's AAP lesson. I wanted a song for 12 months a year. Previously titled "e-flat shuffle."
Three Blind Mice

This is so good man wow wow! Are these words all original? Its a fine fine song!

Is some of the lead guitar from a christmas song that Griff did I wasnt quite following what was going on last month.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
This is so good man wow wow! Are these words all original? Its a fine fine song!

Is some of the lead guitar from a christmas song that Griff did I wasnt quite following what was going on last month.
The three solos are all from the Christmas song lessons and it's a shuffle in the same key of E flat. The lyrics are my twist on some nursery rhymes, I have a block on being able to write more seriously at this time. I made the backing track up but it follows the structure and tempo of Backdoor Santa but is a little different in style. I stopped listening to the original around Christmas and never really listened to BB's vocals, so I'm not sure how much it differs. Probably more Hounddog Taylor than BB's band, except for the solos.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
This is as good a place as any for this one. It's a blues, has a number in the title, and will be familiar in structure and solos with last month's AAP lesson. I wanted a song for 12 months a year. Previously titled "e-flat shuffle."
Three Blind Mice
Awesome all around, Braylon! Lyrics are amazing. :thumbup::thumbup:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Three Blind Mice
Hey BJ, you've just brightened up a dull wet day brother. Thank you. I really enjoyed that.:)(y)(y)