January 2023 Challenge - Multiple Choice

Elwood

Blues
What exactly is this Mini that you are using?

Steve
Steve, It is a Taylor GS Mini, Koa. It is the cheapest acoustic guitar that I own and it gets played more than any other stringed instrument that I have. Probably more than a bunch of them together. It's just a non-pretentious thing that always seems to be lying close by where I am. A little guitar that is easy to play and not too bad on the ears plugged in or not, a pretty good little friend for sure. Tough as nails too. A few times I dozed off with it in my lap during recovery from a major procedure and it woke me up with a loud crash as it hit the floor. Not a mark. All I've done since I have had it is one minor truss rod tweak and change lots of strings :) Awesome blues machine!

Attachments

• 20190417_162538.jpg
    20190417_162538.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

sloslunas

NM Blues
Steve, It is a Taylor GS Mini, Koa. It is the cheapest acoustic guitar that I own and it gets played more than any other stringed instrument that I have. Probably more than a bunch of them together. It's just a non-pretentious thing that always seems to be lying close by where I am. A little guitar that is easy to play and not too bad on the ears plugged in or not, a pretty good little friend for sure. Tough as nails too. A few times I dozed off with it in my lap during recovery from a major procedure and it woke me up with a loud crash as it hit the floor. Not a mark. All I've done since I have had it is one minor truss rod tweak and change lots of strings :) Awesome blues machine!
Thanks for the info...

Steve

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Something I've not tried before is playing this on my Les Paul, it's the "Theme From The Deerhunter" also know as "Cavatina"

A Really nice arrangement, using the whole range of the guitar - and I love the LP's sustain, it really "sings". Well done.

Speaking of singing - do you know (of) the Cleo Laine/John Williams version, entitled "He Was Beautiful"? I just discovered that it's up on YouTube - check it out.

glynnd

Blues Newbie
Ethel Mae is the title of songs by Arthur Crudup, Fred McDowell, Lazy Lester and others, none of them the same song. She is also mentioned in an Elmore James song, I forget which one. The same lady? If so she obviously had many charms, and a great deal of stamina! Or maybe the name is just easy to rhyme. Anyway I thought one more, song that is, couldn't hurt. Uses some of the licks from the "Jam the Blues Alone" course.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I found this one yesterday while searching for something to contribute.
Mellow Moto. Love it. Especially that yodel as you head up to the really high notes. Beautiful. Well played sir.(y)(y)

Oh and....., buy a brass slide.:rolleyes: I know they have a different sound/feel, but at least it'll be there when you need it.;)

sloslunas

NM Blues
Ethel Mae is the title of songs by Arthur Crudup, Fred McDowell, Lazy Lester and others, none of them the same song. She is also mentioned in an Elmore James song, I forget which one. The same lady? If so she obviously had many charms, and a great deal of stamina! Or maybe the name is just easy to rhyme. Anyway I thought one more, song that is, couldn't hurt. Uses some of the licks from the "Jam the Blues Alone" course.

That is some mighty fine pickin' brother. You done good...

Steve

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Here is one from me, a remake of a song I've done before. I think I'm using Rule #7 (unless "Friend" or "Devil" can be a profession, idk?). Certainly there is a place of the devil (starts with H, ends with double-hockey-sticks). I do have another song I'm working on that would fit Rule #3, but in case I don't get that finished I wanted to get this up.

Oh, and I got a new mixer! We might have to talk about that somewhere else, hopefully pretty soon.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Here is one from me, a remake of one I've done before. I think I'm using Rule #7 (unless "Friend" or "Devil" can be a profession, idk?). Certainly there is a place of the devil (starts with H, ends with double-hockey-sticks). I do have another song I'm working on that would fit number 3, but in case I don't get that finished I wanted to get this up.

Oh, and I got a new mixer! We might have to talk about that somewhere else, hopefully pretty soon.
Doug, you never disappoint. I love the way you treat that PRS and I love how it responds to you. Your fingerpicking is excellent and the tone of that guitar is absolutely perfect. Your vocal, as always is excellent. Thank you for sharing this with us.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Here is one from me, a remake of a song I've done before. I think I'm using Rule #7 (unless "Friend" or "Devil" can be a profession, idk?). Certainly there is a place of the devil (starts with H, ends with double-hockey-sticks). I do have another song I'm working on that would fit Rule #3, but in case I don't get that finished I wanted to get this up.

Loved it! Thanks for posting.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
This one is quite a departure from my usual stuff. it falls somewhere under rule #7 although Johnny Cash did "A Boy Named Sue", so it's closer to rule number 4. I started fooling around with the guitar part on this one as a reason to pick up my acoustic and play it more. I really enjoyed playing the chords (except for that damned F chord!) and decided to try recording a version for the January challenge. I layered several acoustic guitar tracks to fill things out a little. Also...It wouldn't be a TZ song without some electric guitar added in.:cool: The only part of this track that is not me playing is some piano and synth. They are both kind of in the background and blend in well with the guitar but if I take them out of the mix, I can really tell that they are needed. I will let you guys be the judge on my vocals. I feel like somehow, they came out better than I expected.

At any rate, here is my version of "Hurt", as done by Johnny Cash, who covered the Nine Inch Nails original shortly before he passed away.

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash version

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
At any rate, here is my version of "Hurt", as done by Johnny Cash, who covered the Nine Inch Nails original shortly before he passed away.

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash version
Excellent! My kids were fans of Nine Inch Nails and I have to admit, I really like the Pretty Hate Machine album.
I always preferred Johnny Cash's cover of this song to the original. I think you did a great job on this one TZ.