January 2023 Challenge - Multiple Choice

Elwood

Blues
This is a great offering, positively Appalachian
How very nice of you, especially you being another purveyor of the 5 string beauty in music. I had no idea there was another banjo player in the crowd or I might have been more sheepish about presenting that piece.
I was just on the phone with one of my boys (men now) telling him how I really don't do bluegrass properly, and I sure can't frail, but I enjoy playing so much I figure it's OK just to play it my own way if I want.
Kind of you not to mention my obvious blunders. In the chorus I went to the 5 when I meant to hit the 4 so I just played it upside down. I stumble and bumble and trip over my fingers, I love it! Oh, I love to cut loose with the steel picks, when I do it in the back yard no-one passes without craning to see what in the world is so loud, ha!
I really love that guitar logic works just fine on the banjo. I made up a tune in G (the native environment for all of you uninitiated in the finer banjo arts) so what would you use. G, C, D, D7, Em, even that little F, C, G passage, all just some guitar logic (some might just call it music theory) moved over to 5 strings. The melody lines just come from chord tones going by. That little reprise at the end is corny too, I just felt like adding a change up to close it out, so I did.
My "Appalachian" sound is kind of like the well worn trail going out to the half moon hide away out back.
Now I'm waiting to hear you on your banjo, for real!!! Just get on your big boy pants before you do, we have lots of banjo fans that just don't know it yet around here :)
You gave me a big ol grin Braylon, thanks again!!!
Cheers! :Beer:

Last edited:

TexBill

Blues in Texas
I am confused. What month is it? Did the calendar roll back without prior notice or approval?

I thought January ended on the 31st. And Feb. started on the 1st which was wed. Perhaps we on the Lunar New Year version. HeHe!

Elwood

Blues
Just to refresh any memory in need....I trust this meets with everyone's approval. Ha ha.

Rules for the Challenges.
There aren't many, but each month's will have some defining parameters you should stick to...
1. You should be the featured artist in the recording. Other musicians can be included, but the challenge is all about YOU! Singing, playing an instrument or dancing is acceptable (although dancing will require a YouTube video as proof).

2. The month indications are when the challenges started. They are open-ended and an addition can be made to any challenge at any time.
4. We do ask that you post any challenge tunes in the thread for the month and not as a separate thread.
7. If you don't like these rules, you may choose to completely ignore them and record any song you choose.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Just to refresh any memory in need....I trust this meets with everyone's approval. Ha ha.

Rules for the Challenges.
There aren't many, but each month's will have some defining parameters you should stick to...
1. You should be the featured artist in the recording. Other musicians can be included, but the challenge is all about YOU! Singing, playing an instrument or dancing is acceptable (although dancing will require a YouTube video as proof).

2. The month indications are when the challenges started. They are open-ended and an addition can be made to any challenge at any time.
4. We do ask that you post any challenge tunes in the thread for the month and not as a separate thread.
7. If you don't like these rules, you may choose to completely ignore them and record any song you choose.
Just had to poke a little... Perfectly alright by me. Some days it seems like it was last year, so I was just getting clarification on when the calendar changed...LOL