Jamming

Discussion in 'SWS Questions' started by Charlie_13, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Charlie_13

Charlie_13 Guest

560 If I read this right than BB#1 and BB#2 are for minors.
    Page 70 last paragraph.
    Page 92 read the whole thing.
    BB#3 is for major

Now were in the thick mud.

2. 560sdl

560sdl Blues Newbie

Stop the monkeys!  Stop the Monkeys!  I have not gone that far!

3. wgabree

wgabree Blues Newbie

The trick I use to find what key something is in is to imagine the ending - think that note, then find it on the sixth string.  For most songs that works, since it's most satisfying to end on the root of the key.  There are exceptions, but you'll find them  :cool:

4. TonyS

TonyS Blues Newbie

Don't mention monkeys....I'm from Hartlepool

5. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

Most of those tracks are straight blues, and BB1 will work all the way through. Your biblical method (seek and ye shall find) of getting the key is as good as any method so go with it. It's how we all did it at one point. So don't worry about using the other BB's yet.

Griff

6. Cynicure

Cynicure Blues Newbie

I've just downloaded those 80 jamtracks LCW, and after reading your enthusiam I can't wait to give them a try; even though I haven't got the SWS course, and am only in the early stages of the BBG course... Even so, your enthusiasm is infectious and I think I've caught the fever; can't wait to annoy my neighbours tomorrow!

Cheers!

[smiley=beer.gif]

7. Cynicure

Cynicure Blues Newbie

I doubt that many of our American - and even fewer of our Australian - friends would get the joke, Tony S... But as I used to live in Easington Colliery, just some 13 miles north of Hartlepool, and used to go swimming regularly at Seaton Carew (before they built the 'new' Olympic standard swimming pool in Hartlepool itself, some 35 years ago or more!) I'm familiar with the story of how the Hartlepudlians hung three monkeys, mistaking them for Frenchmen... What can I say?

H'away the monkey-hangers! H'away the lads!

Here's a pint from the Land of Oz:

Cheers!

[smiley=beer.gif]

8. Charlie_13

Charlie_13 Guest

Thanks everyone for the input.
    Yes I am still having fun with SWS and am expanding the number of strings that I am using.
    Funny thing about this is that as I get use to the pattern I start getting use to the sound that each note makes and this makes it easyer to see any mistakes. :)

9. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

With having only a few notes to keep track of at a time, you do start to hear the individuality of each note.

I always think of notes (and chords for that matter) as having a function.

For example, a G by itself is just a G. But a G in the key of C is the dominant function (functioning as a V) and that gives it a purpose and it does something you can hear.

As you get used to the purpose and function of each of the notes, you're able to make much better choices. Just keep it up.

Griff