Jamming with the drummers

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Sue (my wife/drummer) and I just got back from a North American meet-up of her drumming group in Toronto. The event was centered around a couple of workshops, but there was some "open" time scheduled and part of the group used that for kind of a jam. There were two kits in the room, Sue set up her suitcase kit, and I brought in my Strat and my P-bass. There were a couple of others there who could strum a few chords and/or find root notes on the bass, so we traded around a little bit and kept it simple. We played a few different progressions, nobody really knew any whole songs we could do so mostly just acted as a looper. It was pretty cool to be playing with THREE drummers at once, and I got to play my bass through a 1100W Ampeg SVT 6 tube head into an 8x10 cab, and the Strat through a 100W Orange TH100 with a 4x12 cab. Wow! That was cool. A couple of youtubes are available. You can see we were all having a pretty good time.

(Unfortunately, about half the attendees came down with COVID afterwards - including Sue and me. We're isolating at home now, enjoying our paxlovid, tylenol and advil. Not feeling great, but altogether not too bad. Again, wow.)

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That's great! It was wonderful to see Sue's smiling face in the video. Is she able to play drums again without too much difficulty?

Sorry to hear about the COVID, but it seems to be the new flu! I hope you're both over it and back at full speed very soon!

Reactions: dvs

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
That's great! It was wonderful to see Sue's smiling face in the video. Is she able to play drums again without too much difficulty?

Sorry to hear about the COVID, but it seems to be the new flu! I hope you're both over it and back at full speed very soon!
Thanks, Lloyd! She's getting there with her drumming (a long rehab from a couple of shoulder injuries, for folks who don't know the story), able to play for about 15-20 minutes at a time and working up from there.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Suitcase bass, washboard water bottle, Sue didn't sing a single bad note, and you were a rock on the P-bass! Very cool and looks like a great time!!! Seems unusual to me to see so much nice drum hardware at the same place, just great!!!
Wishing you and your bride a speedy and complete recovery. (y)(y)(y)

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Suitcase bass, washboard water bottle, Sue didn't sing a single bad note, and you were a rock on the P-bass! Very cool and looks like a great time!!! Seems unusual to me to see so much nice drum hardware at the same place, just great!!!
Wishing you and your bride a speedy and complete recovery. (y)(y)(y)
This was in a rehearsal studio, so along with those amazing amps, the Mapex kit (darker brown) was the house kit and the Yamaha kit front and center (the lighter one) was provided for this event by Yamaha Canada.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Very cool!!!
Sorry to hear you got hit with the Covid, but if it's like what we had after Flagstaff, it's like a heavy cold for a few days. The only part that lasted was my inability to sing high notes (just got that back this weekend) and maybe some loss of smell/taste. Marsha didn't mind because I stink, so it was a blessing for her.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool!
Looks like a real up beat jam session:giggle:

Hope that COVID don't keep you down too long.
Get well soon.