Jamkazam

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
That's too bad. Has anyone had any luck with any other kind of collaboration platform?

I saw some discussion in this and other threads. It looked like there's not really anything that works well. This seems odd to me. I'd think the technology is available. Maybe the JamKazam people will get a boost from the pandemic and develop further.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Connecting instruments to a computer with low latency has always been an issue, and the only place where Apple products have a significant advantage over Windows and Android. Windows wasn't designed for low latency, so interface makers have to come up with creative solutions that bypass windows, in this case ASIO drivers, but because they bypass windows they are not always the easiest to work with.
That's one barrier to entry and one that you can solve through your own expertise or a friend's.

The other issue is Internet latency. that really depends on your internet provider, distance to servers, and your own wiring (or lack thereof, using Wi-Fi will really kill your latency). While paying for higher internet speeds might help, internet service is more designed around speed to download large chunks of data (e.g. download a movie) rather than making tiny connections without delay. Gamers have been complaining about it for years (how long does the game server take to register that I clicked my mouse to fire my weapon, and how much delay is acceptable before I miss that headshot due to transmission delays).

I have used Jamulus with some friends. I work a hair better than Jamkazam but is geekier to set up, so as long as Jamkazam is free, it's probably the "best" solution.

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
From what I understand the hardware and internet latency are only half the issue with JamKazam. The other appears to be the software itself. It seems like this could be fixed.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I posted this in the "Guitar Learning" section but will post it here since JamKazam is already being discussed:

JamKazam seems to be workable for remote jamming, although it can be a bit hit and miss at times. However, one feature that I have really come to appreciate is the jam tracks that you can purchase and download. In most cases, they are high-quality multi-track recordings in which you can turn individual instruments and/or vocals on or off.

The jam tracks cost either $1.99 for use only in JamKazam, or $2.99 for ones that you can download to use elsewhere. The cool part is that you can create a custom mix. I have been learning the bass parts to some Miles Davis songs and was able to create downloaded MP3 tracks both with and without the bass.so that I could record myself playing over the tracks in place of the original bass.

Purchasing the tracks does not require installation of the software. You just need to set up an account on the website and then purchase them there.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
From what I understand the hardware and internet latency are only half the issue with JamKazam. The other appears to be the software itself. It seems like this could be fixed.
It probably could, but JamKazam kind of boxed themselves into a corner by offering both the service and application for free. I can't imagine the business model they were working for with this, as the platform doesn't lend itself well to supporting advertisers. The initial JamBlaster hardware, while a good idea, was only a one-trick-pony as I recall I don't remember the exact price for the device, but it wasn't suitable for use as anything but a JamKazam hardware interface and at the time they were offering the pre-orders, it seemed pretty pricey to me, especially since at the time their platform was almost brand new and the application software was even more buggy than it is today.

I remember having a chat with one of the founders and they were using a proprietary peer-to-peer protocol rather than switching all the audio traffic through their own servers. I dropped it from my computer at the time and hadn't revisited it until recently. The recording ability and the jam tracks weren't around when I first tried it and that certainly demands some resources for their server.

It's really too bad that they haven't (apparently) had the resources to pursue the market for it. The app needs to be less finicky to set up and much more stable in operation, but development takes money, which they don't seem to have. Great idea, wrong business model. I wish they (or I) had the answer as to how to make it a workable business model. One of the guys who I did some testing with recently said he's been using it for some time and prior to our world-wide home incarceration, finding two active sessions on the site was a rare thing.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I tried it a ways back but the latency issue was too much to deal with...haven't been back since...probably should give it a try but my internet provider hasn't done any improvements...go figure...later.

cowboy

artyman

Fareham UK
It also needs 64 bit Windows, so I'm out. I spent a frustrating couple of hours with a friend trying to get Jamulus to work today, we did sort of get it to work, but not satisfactorily with the hardware that i have at the moment, so it's either spend some cash, or wait until I can meet up with folk again.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My band is trying to get together over jamkazam tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, because it's using it more seriously than jamming around. Unfortunately, the drummer has not been able to get connected so it won;t be a full band practice
I'm anxious to get your opinion on it. You will definitely test its capabilities!

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
It seems like it's quite a lot more active now, understandably. This seems like a potential gofundme. Or maybe they'll sell enough tracks to get back off the ground.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Well, spent about 2 hours with the band remotely. Spent at least 45 minutes in zoom trying to walk a couple band members through getting their setup working. They thought "set it up in advance" meant sign up for an account and install the SW.

The singer was on Wi-Fi

The drummer doesn't have a way to connect, and the bass player's interface wasn't deliver in time from Amazon.

We tried using a backing track with drums and bass for The Thrill is Gone and it felt like we were on track for while then the backing track would fade out for a few seconds and come back off the beat. Like it need to resync on a different pulse.

We tried a few songs with rhythm guitar (me), lead guitar, keys and voice. The singer was dragging the beat a lot (due to lag) and it felt to me the lead player was all over the place. I was using a visual metronome to stay on beat, so I know I was steady.

So it didn't feel locked in like a real in-person practice, but having missing most of the rhythm section may be the issue.

We need to try again and figure out how to get the drummer on

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I've been getting my backing tracks from https://www.karaoke-version.com/guitar-backing-track/ but it's nice the downlaod and controls are build into Jamkazam

My band is trying to get together over jamkazam tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, because it's using it more seriously than jamming around. Unfortunately, the drummer has not been able to get connected so it won;t be a full band practice
Well, spent about 2 hours with the band remotely. Spent at least 45 minutes in zoom trying to walk a couple band members through getting their setup working. They thought "set it up in advance" meant sign up for an account and install the SW.

The singer was on Wi-Fi

The drummer doesn't have a way to connect, and the bass player's interface wasn't deliver in time from Amazon.

We tried using a backing track with drums and bass for The Thrill is Gone and it felt like we were on track for while then the backing track would fade out for a few seconds and come back off the beat. Like it need to resync on a different pulse.

We tried a few songs with rhythm guitar (me), lead guitar, keys and voice. The singer was dragging the beat a lot (due to lag) and it felt to me the lead player was all over the place. I was using a visual metronome to stay on beat, so I know I was steady.

So it didn't feel locked in like a real in-person practice, but having missing most of the rhythm section may be the issue.

We need to try again and figure out how to get the drummer on
Sounds like par for the course!

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
Were you pretty close or far apart? I keep hoping being relative close (say less than 100 miles) could help with the latency issues.

ClausBruun

Blues Newbie
Hi
Can you comment on the different players latency to each other ?
Also if the software do p2p connections what holes do you need to punch in the firewall/router for the other players to connect to you ?

Thanks
Claus

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hi
Can you comment on the different players latency to each other ?
Also if the software do p2p connections what holes do you need to punch in the firewall/router for the other players to connect to you ?

Thanks
Claus
The software gives you a latency report on every member of your group.

I didn't need to do any massaging of my firewall.

Alan B. Go.

Blues Explorer
I have a friend that has been working with his keyboard player using Jamkazam this week and he says he's not having latency problems. I'd be interested in testing it out with someone. @PapaRaptor ? Anyone...?
Message me. I think I'll get an email notification.

I've been using JamKazam now for a few weeks and am fairly impressed. Set up was a little wonky but once the program discovered my gear (mainly a ProSonus Audiobox II, guitar and condenser mic) all was fine. I have a great internet connection and have virtually no latency. Same with a buddy in San Diego (I'm in Tucson) however two friends here in town have minor but not insurmountable problems with latency.

Here's some info regarding routers:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...zam-i-could-use-some-troubleshooting.1504869/

In general it works fine. I'd be interested in virtual jams with any and all. Get in touch!

Cheers!
Alan B.