Jam Session recording

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
Well, I was challenged to post a recording from my jam session, I'm gonna do it here, but man do we sound terrible. Well, that's the whole point of recording it right?

We've only played many of them once or twice and as such they are so bad I won't subject your fine musical ears to them. Well, you better be careful with the one's that I DO send because the my hurt too.  :p

Good thing I'm in it for the fun!!!

Mike,

Thanks you for posting your jam. Given the few times you've been together I thought all was very decent and enjoyable. We are our own worst (or toughest) critics. Have fun, learn, get to where you want to. If anyone can excel at this it's you. You've set the bar and now we can follow.

Best wishes,
Dave

J

jhagan421

Hey Mike I thought it was very good.  The drums are a bit louder than the rest but everything JohnC said made sense (including the part about the girl on the screen  :eek: (of course ;))  It sounds like you guys and girls do pretty well to me.  It must be soo much fun to play in a group.  Down the road mabye ::).  You say it sounds terrible, it's inspriational to theose of us who hope to someday play a few songs all the way through, so Kudos to you and your group

Thanks for posting.

G

Garymcm

Finally catching up with things and got to listen, you probably are your own worst critics, cos it sounding good to me.
You nailed that solo by the way.

Great stuff Mike,
cheers
Gary

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks guys. It is fun. I haven't played in a band situation for over 30 years. Back then it was " Play some chords, sing some words" and everyone  thought it was great. Now all I hear are the things we are missing. The things that make songs great are all the little lead riffs that you don't necessarily consciously hear when you are listening to a song; not just the big riffs in the breaks, but things behind the vocals or a really great bass riff or an unusual beat on the drums, especially the rhythm players strum. There's just so much more that goes into it, that I'm never satisfied. I think I can learn to play all these songs, but I'm not sure I have the TALENT to create all the rest.
Whew! I just reread all that and it sounds like a pitty party. In the end, even if we never get "good enough" for my taste, I'm still having a blast.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Mike,

I finally got to your post of the jam......I think you hit everything just about on the head...the recording part is the thing for me....if you don't get a good mix, it's hard to sound good.....I use a Zoom H2 and have finally got the setting about right.....hard to play and try and take care of the recording part too.....bg.  nice lead on "Take It Easy"... keep up the fun cause in the end it's all about the fun.......later.

cowboy