Jam Session recording

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well, I was challenged to post a recording from my jam session, I'm gonna do it here, but man do we sound terrible. Well, that's the whole point of recording it right?
Here's our current song list:
Cinnamon GirlEvil Ways
Gimme 3 StepsI cant get enough of your love
I want you to want meJohnny Be Good
Locomotive BreathLola
Louie, LouieRockin Me
Running on EmptySugar Magnolia
Susie-QWild Thing
Wonderful TonightYou Wreck me

We've only played many of them once or twice and as such they are so bad I won't subject your fine musical ears to them. Well, you better be careful with the one's that I DO send because the my hurt too.  :p

Evil Ways http://www.4shared.com/file/166855591/d5423cf5/Evil_Ways_04.html
I Can't Get Enough http://www.4shared.com/file/166855768/28824cf0/I_Cant_Get_Enough_02.html
Locomotive Breath http://www.4shared.com/file/166856336/a7f19280/Locomotive_Breath_02.html
Lola http://www.4shared.com/file/166856439/32019994/Lola_02.html
And the only song that I do any lead on:
Take it Easy  http://www.4shared.com/file/166856825/2bb61d9a/Take_it_Easy_03.html

Good thing I'm in it for the fun!!!

GRUMPY

Blues Newbie
Mike, They don't sound that bad to me, I have a lot worse. But the question is, did you have fun???? That's what counts. :) :cool:

johnc

systematic
Hey Mike, well done. Sounds like a good time to me. I was supposed to be practicing here so I played all the tracks and played along to most.  Some great songs there.

Always hard to get a good recorded sound at these things, because typically the drums can wash a lot else out, but I could hear everything and it it was all happening.  Pretty good for such early days.
Try and get the recorder further from the drums or ask the drummer if they could play a little quieter, maybe lighter sticks.  I often use Rods (multi stranded sticks) when the recorder is on for that reason but not every drummer is all that accomodating.  If they hear the recording they might understand better.

Anyway it's great regardless, so long as it is feeling good live.

It was a bit hard to concentrate when listening to all your tracks on 4shared though with those two pretty girls on the screen.  Are they part of your band??? ;)

BignJames

Blues Newbie
Mike,

sounded like fun....you recorded this w/your Tascam?...a few more goes and you'll get the hang of it I'm sure.....loved "Locomotive Breath"

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Mike,

Wonderful listen'n.  Three way tie between Can't Get Enough, Lu Lu Lu Lu Lolaaah, & Take It Easy, but I'm going to go with Take It Easy because of that solo.  Thanks for sharing .  

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hey John, I'm not sure what you mean by 2 girls... When I look at it I get a Mucinex commercial, but if they're cute, no they're not IN the band... they're my groupies.  ;)

Our drummer is a fairly new drummer and she's doing the best she can. Her timing goes a little south when she tries to play and sing, but the other guitarist and I would be lost without her. The other guitarist is her husband, and yes there have been a few Yoko jokes. Particularly when we first met at another guys house and all she brought was a cow bell... More Cow Bell!!!

James, Yep that's on the Tascam. On the first few songs I forgot to check the level and got a bunch of clipping. Once I turned down the input volume, it worked a little better. I pretty much pushed the record button and the pause button a few times, so I spent a few hours today using Audacity to clip out the various songs (another plus for Audacity).

Tim

Blues Newbie
That was great Mike!! Thank you for posting. Playing with others is what it is all about (pure joy for me).

I am looking to form a band. Probably with some of the students in my "instructional band". As a matter of fact I gotta make some phone calls and get some people together. That sounded like a BLAST.

Later.

johnc

systematic
Mike, we must get different advertising here on 4shared.  I just assumed we would all see the same thing.  Well I am quite happy with the advertising here anyway.

Nothing wrong with a girl drummer, they are usually quite good.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Mike, you guys sounded awesome! Good job on the songs!. It would be nice to have good recording gear but that all costs a lot of money!

SeattleSlim

Blues Newbie
More Cow Bell!!!

Hi Mike,
I couldn't say it better. You have all the fun! Yeah, it is a little rough, but the recording captures the good time you were having. Your play list has a good variety and range. Your "Take it Easy" is all there, and your solo shows that there is a payoff for all your practice. Good work. You are so fortunate to have a band to make music. Rock on!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks for all the good words and encouragement guys. I really appreciate it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Strato, I sent the recordings to the other folks I was playing with and they seemed to like them too. I guess it's the old "We're our own worst critics" all I hear are my mistakes.