Jack's October fixit submission

Neil

Blues Newbie
Very good submission, Jack, great stuff!
I'm using iMovie for my audio/video editing, and it's starting to sink in. Every day's a schoolday!

Jack

Blues Junior
Thanks so much Neil! Yeah audio and video production...it's like a never-ending time sink lol. Always so much more to learn :)

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
So I have to ask...you always do such a good job on these, how long does it take you to learn one? Between all the several parts and the bass, do you spend a few weeks working one of these out or are you like a savant where you pick it up relatively quickly and just need to iron out some details to play it?

Btw - great job on this one!

Jack

Blues Junior
So I have to ask...you always do such a good job on these, how long does it take you to learn one? Between all the several parts and the bass, do you spend a few weeks working one of these out or are you like a savant where you pick it up relatively quickly and just need to iron out some details to play it?

Btw - great job on this one!

Thanks so much Snarf! I started on this immediately after finishing "Don't Stop Believin'," so it took a little less than a month, practicing 2 hours a day almost every day. I start learning the lead at 50% tempo (or even 30% for the really fast parts) to get it under my fingers, and play though it a whole bunch of times until I can remember the timing of everything - then I can switch from playing along with the original song to playing along with the backing track (so I don't have the original guitarist to cover up my mistakes). Slowing the tempo way down is also very helpful for figuring out where the tab is wrong. Then I just start moving the tempo up a little at a time and after a few weeks, get it up to full tempo. Somewhere along the line I eventually get it memorized too :)

For the rhythm guitar and bass I might have started at 80% tempo as they're not nearly so technical. I still had to play through the bass part probably 15 times to get a good take where I didn't forget where I was during the choruses, as they're all a little different. And the lead took many, many takes lol.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks so much Snarf! I started on this immediately after finishing "Don't Stop Believin'," so it took a little less than a month, practicing 2 hours a day almost every day. I start learning the lead at 50% tempo (or even 30% for the really fast parts) to get it under my fingers, and play though it a whole bunch of times until I can remember the timing of everything - then I can switch from playing along with the original song to playing along with the backing track (so I don't have the original guitarist to cover up my mistakes). Slowing the tempo way down is also very helpful for figuring out where the tab is wrong. Then I just start moving the tempo up a little at a time and after a few weeks, get it up to full tempo. Somewhere along the line I eventually get it memorized too :)

For the rhythm guitar and bass I might have started at 80% tempo as they're not nearly so technical. I still had to play through the bass part probably 15 times to get a good take where I didn't forget where I was during the choruses, as they're all a little different. And the lead took many, many takes lol.

The work paid off. It looks seamless and sounds great! I usually start on mine about a month before, but they aren't anywhere near as big of an effort.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Good job Jack. Ditto on everyone else's comments great production, great playing. :thumbup::thumbup:
Question: does the split screen with multiple videos combined take special software/expertise or is that something that can be done on basic You Tube?

Jack

Blues Junior
Good job Jack. Ditto on everyone else's comments great production, great playing. :thumbup::thumbup:
Question: does the split screen with multiple videos combined take special software/expertise or is that something that can be done on basic You Tube?

Thanks so much Mark! I'm using video editing software called Adobe Premiere Pro, which is rather expensive at about $240/year, but it works and does everything I want. There are certainly other brands of video editing software out there, and I imagine they can do many of the same things, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with them.