It's official,

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I'm down to my last available hole on my belt!! It's time to get serious! time to buy a larger belt!! :)....

Anybody care to do a little weight challenge for the new year?? Help motivate each other?? tips, etc...

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
I'm right there with ya, Jack...

For decades my weight was 165 because I was doing serious running. In peak racing season would be under 160 - but I was eating like a horse, which was certainly fun. :)

About six years ago I fell in with a bad woman and my running went out the window. Over the course of three years ballooned up to 200 and looked and felt like crap...

In the last two years I've only gotten down to 190 - because my running has been very intermittent... I know I'll never get back to 80 mile weeks - and I'm fine with that - but, dang, I need to a consistent 30/week or I'd have to do that DIET thing - and that doesn't sound like fun.

So, my plan is avoid junk food and run consistency - what's yours?

Kevin

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
If you really care for yourself, then there is no need for anyone else to challenge you or motivate you. Set a goal, and do it! Eat good food in moderation, and get some progressive exercise. Weigh yourself every day to be sure that you have been on track. Be realistic.

Two pounds of weight loss a week is what you should shoot for. If that does not occur then evaluate what you are doing.

Tom

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
For decades my weight was 165
I think that was my birth weight! I'm down to 220lbs from 305 and still going. I want to be be at around 200Lbs when finished. I'll support everyone on the challenge but I've already got a head start. I'm at it since March.

I do feel much better now and I'm working out mornings and evenings, nothing dramatic just trying to maintain muscle tone. Good Luck Jack! I've got your back.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Jack I'm no doctor, but I think you can attribute the weight gain to all of that money you carry around in your deep pockets? I PM'd you my address to help relieve some of that burden...Always willing to help a brother out in time of need!

Steve

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
I think that was my birth weight! I'm down to 220lbs from 305 and still going. I want to be be at around 200Lbs when finished. I'll support everyone on the challenge but I've already got a head start. I'm at it since March.

I do feel much better now and I'm working out mornings and evenings, nothing dramatic just trying to maintain muscle tone. Good Luck Jack! I've got your back.

5 years ago I was at my all time high of 315 pounds, I cut down my portion size and watched my junk food intake, been hovering around the 250 mark for the last 2 years, really need to take off another 30-35, I quit smoking cigarettes on super bowl sunday and it has been an uphill struggle for the last 11 months.

Carlos

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
5 years ago I was at my all time high of 315 pounds, I cut down my portion size and watched my junk food intake, been hovering around the 250 mark for the last 2 years, really need to take off another 30-35, I quit smoking cigarettes on super bowl sunday and it has been an uphill struggle for the last 11 months.

Carlos
Quitting the cigarettes was a challenge for me as well but in retrospect, it was easy compared to losing the weight I gained after quitting.

If you haven't gained after quitting you are doing well!

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Jack I'm no doctor, but I think you can attribute the weight gain to all of that money you carry around in your deep pockets? I PM'd you my address to help relieve some of that burden...Always willing to help a brother out in time of need!

Steve
Steve, with that kind of motivation I was able to eek out 3 sit-ups and one push-up! I think I'm good for the year!! Thanks pal!!

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I'm 170 lbs, BMI 24.5 and I am a keen cyclist. This year (2017) I have set my STRAVA target as 6500km (4000mls). That's what I do to keep in health and I do it because it's a challenge. (y)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I definitely got to get back on track, had gotten down to 190 lbs but have slipped up to 205 lbs, so I got get headed back towards 170. I find I do well if I keep carbs to a minimum, especially refined sugars and flours, and do some moderate exercise.

Steve.W

Blues Newbie
Seems there's a few of us with some extra luggage. I'm currently 174lbs (79kg) up from 154lbs (70kg) 4 years ago when I retired. I'm only 5ft 6ins so that is a fair bit of weight for me. Like Thatman I was a keen cyclist but once I stopped riding to work everyday it was very easy to start reducing the exercise but unfortunately not the eating and drinking. I like the idea of the Strava target and today is a good day to start. Hopefully I will report in next week with some progress :)

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Seems there's a few of us with some extra luggage. I'm currently 174lbs (79kg) up from 154lbs (70kg) 4 years ago when I retired. I'm only 5ft 6ins so that is a fair bit of weight for me. Like Thatman I was a keen cyclist but once I stopped riding to work everyday it was very easy to start reducing the exercise but unfortunately not the eating and drinking. I like the idea of the Strava target and today is a good day to start. Hopefully I will report in next week with some progress :)
A good exercise bike might be what you need. I really enjoy mine.

Tom

Steve.W

Blues Newbie
A good exercise bike might be what you need. I really enjoy mine.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I have a good windtrainer setup here but I really only used when the weather was too bad to get out on the road (which is not very often). We have a very good bike path system here though there are parts where you have to dice with death to get around. If you want a good work out on the indoor bike check out the Sufferfest range of cycling videos.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm down to my last available hole on my belt!! It's time to get serious! time to buy a larger belt!! :)....

Anybody care to do a little weight challenge for the new year?? Help motivate each other?? tips, etc...

So far, I've found a great way to lose weight. Brother-in-law showed up for Christmas at my father-in-law's with some flu like virus. That was his present to everyone. I've had it now, since Tuesday. I'm back on my feet, but the damn stuff still lingers on. I'm down at least 10 pounds and still going... and going... ;)