It's Beginning to Feel Alot Like Christmas.

drhertzog

By the River Blues
Hi Griff. Long time acoustic blues subscriber, but now getting serious. I noticed in your recent video that you play an acoustic Taylor. I have a 35 year old acoustic Ovation which has served me well, but is now holding me back. I play alone at home and on the porch with a few friends.

I've been trying out Taylors at Guitar Center to put on Santa's list. Body type is most likely a personal choice, but I'm leaning toward a grand auditorium or grand symphony. My biggest problem is bending on the Ovation. Would you suggest the 12-fret Taylor as a solution? Strings are also a factor - do you go with the factory strings or do you have any alternatives?

I appreciate any input.
Thanks,
David

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Admittedly, I don't play acoustic very much, so I keep it easy.

Mine is a 410CE (cutaway electric) so it's a dreadnaught size, but I've noticed on some of the newer Taylors there is a little bevel where your right arm goes and that would be AMAZING I think... because my right arm always falls asleep when I'm teaching with an acoustic.

For blues, in particular, I really want something smaller and more manageable, but I don't play acoustic enough to justify it.

Bending... that doesn't really happen. But I use medium/light gauge strings (11-whatever) so if I had to, I could make a bend on the top string or 2.

Not sure if that helps any, but maybe :)