It was a dark and stormy night...

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Is that the same 770,000 acres that seems to burn every year?

Over here in Aus, around where I live, thousands of hectares burned at Christmas/New Year. Right now,nearly all of that is greened up and growing back - in only eight months. The biggest problem is that the top cover has burned off, so the ground-level stuff grows back really quickly; and that's the stuff that burns next time around. So yeah, it "seems to burn every year", and if not just wait 'till next year or the next lightning strike.

News over here last night was the the Australian Government "Has not had an official request" from America for firefighters or support. So we can only offer our spiritual support; I'm rain-dancing for Northern California.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
There are a lot of fires going on here in Az.----but almost all of our HOTSHOT crews are over in California----Back in July we had a big fire
170,000 acres +---they sent all our HOTSHOT crews over to fight it-----then a "FIREFIGHTING" company was contracted to fight the fire (they were from Washington State)----they had full control of everything--all crews some from New Mexico-Colorado-----the story we got from the front lines was---"LET IT BURN-IT WILL BURN IT'S SELF OUT"---Okey Dokey. That was when it had reached 70,000 acres---over 100,000 acres later when there was nothing left to burn----they packed up and went back to Washington with a HUGE PAYCHECK in there hands---probably up there in the hi-millions they didn't do one damn thing----nothing. Maybe they ought to hire that company for Ca. fires:thumbdown:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I heard the Cali crews are short handed because they usually use the prison population but, they aren't available do to C19 in the prisons.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Is that the same 770,000 acres that seems to burn every year?...I thought NAPA VALLEY got wiped out last year or the year before but on the news they showed Napa Valley burning again----Maybe they should just pour concrete over it problem solved.:)

California is a large area. We do have some vegetation I have noticed throughout my travels throughout this state. Our rainy season is more or less from October to February. Then stuff like wild grass grows back, just in time to be mature enough for summer fires. Our illustrious electric company called PG&E (my mom called them pigs, goats and elephants!) has been the cause of the majority of the recent fires (2017-2019), but this one was the work of (if you will) God. Lightning. We are going to have another three days of lightning storms in the Bay Area starting Sunday. This is so unusual.

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Is that the same 770,000 acres that seems to burn every year?...I thought NAPA VALLEY got wiped out last year or the year before but on the news they showed Napa Valley burning again----Maybe they should just pour concrete over it problem solved.:)
Pour concrete to solve a problem? Where have I heard that before? :confused:

Oh yes! September 1968. Nixon was running for president and decided he had the solution to end the Vietnam war. Drop atomic bombs on North Vietnam, pave it with concrete, and make it a parking lot.

Those words were a take off from Eisenhower, who in 1952 promised the mothers of America, to "bring home your boys", from Korea, by Christmas 1953, if elected President. Which he did.

Well, Nixon won but we were there until1975.

Tom