It was a dark and stormy night...

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
We love Charles Schultz's Peanuts at my house, especially Snoopy. Our daughter is an English Composition Major and graduated from UCLA. We love to send each other short eMails like this:

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly there was a noise.

They lived happily ever after.

The End :)

That makes us laugh. Last night was a dark and stormy night. The temperature has been over or at 100 for the last few days. The air conditioner decided to stop pumping cold air. No problem! The air conditioning man will try to get here next Wednesday. What do you do in the interim? Enjoy! :eek:

It was too hot in the house to go to bed, so we stayed up watching television, with the fans on. At 3 AM there was a weather bulletin: “Severe thunder storms until 3:41 AM for Monterey, Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, Alameda, and Contra Costa counties. 3/4” hail with 60 mph winds. Stay inside – you can be killed by the lightning”! There are about 10 million people who live in the areas affected. It did not make the national weather channel news, but our weather never does.

The time was extended for the end of the event, 4:41 AM, and then 5:45 AM. Lots of noise outside. Lightning, thunder, rain, wind. At 5 AM we went to bed. The outside temperature dropped from 80 to 66 for almost 15 minutes due to the cool rain. Then it was back up to 80. The thunder was still being heard at 8 AM. It is 98 right now and it is almost 4 PM.

Tom

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Good luck with getting that fixed ASAP. Absolutely nothing worse than your aircon going out..........hmmm, well I guess except if your heater goes out and you don't have a fireplace.You can survive sweating like crazy, so long as you have some type of fan. Freezing not so much.

Silicon Valley Tom

My mom had this to say about cold or hot weather: "You can put on a sweater to keep warm, but you cannot take off your skin and dance around in your bones"! ;) :eek:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

National news: Los Angeles had 100 lightning strikes last night. We did not make the news. We only had 2500. :confused: Breaking News: More after the commercials. More of what? :ROFLMAO:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

The weatherman has just decided that the temperature in San Jose reached 100 degrees today. The difference between the predicted 98 and 100 is really not noticeable. They are both just numbers. But being a fourth generation San Franciscan, I would really enjoy 72 F. :) Katy is from Magdalena del Mar, Peru, the seaside of Lima. To Katy, 72 is cold, and 73 is hot. So I am willing to compromise and enjoy 72.5! :)

Tom

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I just saw on our local (Aus.) Weatherzone site that a temperature of 54.4C (130F) was recorded in Furnace Creek CA. Seems like that might be an apt name for that place.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Sounds like Sharon, if it gets 74 in the house in the winter she turns the heat on 77---if it's 77 in the summer she turns the A.C. down to 72. I just don't know.
That's funny - here at our place if we're cold in winter we set the A/C to 23C and Heat. If we're hot in summer we set it to 23C and Cool. Works for us :unsure:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Here in Sac. we've had over a week of 100F+. The last couple of days have been over 110. They're promising another week of 100+. I think we'll have 20 days over 100 for this August. Even worse, it's barely getting down to 80 at night. 76 or 77 have been the lows this week. Later this week the night time temps are supposed to get down into the 60s thank God.
The Governor isn't having to make us stay in right now. Hell, I doubt he could make me go out.
We generally set the thermostat at 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer.
Knock on wood. No big California fires lately. Either that or the Political Flu is taking up all the headlines.

Silicon Valley Tom

Here in Sac. we've had over a week of 100F+. The last couple of days have been over 110. They're promising another week of 100+. I think we'll have 20 days over 100 for this August. Even worse, it's barely getting down to 80 at night. 76 or 77 have been the lows this week. Later this week the night time temps are supposed to get down into the 60s thank God.
The Governor isn't having to make us stay in right now. Hell, I doubt he could make me go out.
We generally set the thermostat at 68 in the winter and 78 in the summer.
Knock on wood. No big California fires lately. Either that or the Political Flu is taking up all the headlines.

We moved from Campbell, CA to Minden, NV, October 1993. We decided to move back to California, and moved to Fair Oaks, near Sacramento. As I was about to leave the house in Minden, the telephone rang. It was my friend from Sacramento, Mark.

“Hello Tom, this is Mark. The good news is it will be 110 degrees today. The bad news? There will be absolutely no wind”! He was correct! :(

As we drove near the California border, I was singing at the top of my lungs: “California, here we come”! :)

During February 1994, we returned to Silicon Valley where we still reside. We have not returned to Nevada, where we once enjoyed our vacations. :eek:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

It is Tuesday. The air conditioner repair man fixed the problem this morning! :) The weather service said the high today would be 91. It is now 98. :( So we just cranked the AC down to 74 and we are enjoying the great indoors! :cool:

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

The weather alert for high heat will expire tonight at 9 PM. However, on the 11 PM news last night, they said the heat would last 6 more days.

Also, we have many fires in the Bay Area. 85,000 acres are on fire at this time. Many communities have been evacuated. Do not go outside (or open your windows) because of the air quality. The sky is covered with smoke and it is a light orange color. I did take a short breath of air outside, and it was like sitting 3 feet downwind from a huge camp fire. GAG! :cry: Ash is covering all the cars parked outside in our neighborhood.

Then we have the political scene, and the virus to contend with. Other than that, "things are normal"! :eek:

Ignorance is bliss. I wish to be blissful! :)

Tom

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Phoenix, Az. (where I DON'T live) has had 44 days straight over 110 (new record)---and forecast the same for the next week. Considering there is NO-SHADE in Death Valley everything is in the direct sun---I posted a picture of the temp up here in Prescott Valley that showed 134------5 days later it hit 139---in the sun---so quit whining.---we ain't had a day under 95 IN THE SHADE for A LONG TIME--but we were getting A WHOLE LOT OF SMOKE FROM THEM--- S.C.--- CALIFOREIGNERS ANNUAL WEENIE ROAST..:Beer:....