It is atrarting to help already

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
When I started BBG I knew I would have a problem with my timing. When you play without a metronome and no others you set your own timing which in my case was not a good idea. As I progressed through BBG I often ran into problems with my timing. Well with PSTM in 3 days I was able to play triplets in time correctly. I still need to work at them of course and I will have to crank the speed up but I feel an accomplishment. I haven't tried to play the 16 notes yet as I have been working on the triplets. I have a feeling that it won't be too long before I play the 16's. I can count them and tap them OK, but I can't play the Pentonic scale to them yet.
I wish I had this course when I started BBG. I think I would have progressed quicker and would have sounded more professional. :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That's great Larry. I was thinking about what you said "I wish I had this course when I started BBG." but you know, I think Griff got it right. If I had gotten this course first (Well, I probably would not have bought it in the first place) I might have gotten frustrated. After getting through a lot of BGU, I can see where my knowledge is lacking and I was actively looking for a course like this.
If I had the discipline to use this course and then move into BGU, that would absolutely have been better, but I'm not sure I would have done it.
Timing and speed are the two things that are making BGU difficult for me now, so PSTM came along at the right time for me.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
You may be right Mike. Maybe this is the best time for me. I guess because I see the power in this course I am all excited about where this will take me on my learning to play the Blues  journey. :)

L

Lame_Pinkey

It ain't doing much for your spelling though  ;D ;D ;D ;D

LP 

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
That's great Larry. I was thinking about what you said "I wish I had this course when I started BBG." but you know, I think Griff got it right. If I had gotten this course first (Well, I probably would not have bought it in the first place) I might have gotten frustrated. After getting through a lot of BGU, I can see where my knowledge is lacking and I was actively looking for a course like this.
If I had the discipline to use this course and then move into BGU, that would absolutely have been better, but I'm not sure I would have done it.
Timing and speed are the two things that are making BGU difficult for me now, so PSTM came along at the right time for me.
You bring up a really good point. A lot of times you'll hear people talk about things like "oh you have to do the basics and play your scales and sit up straight and blah blah blah..."

All that stuff is good and important - when you're ready for it. If I try to teach this to someone who isn't interested, it falls on deaf ears. After you've had some time to get your feet wet and realize why you need this - it's an easy sell and the student practices and gets it.

I heard this great quote once that I can't place now, but it was something like "getting what you want has more to do with when you ask than what you're asking for."

For a guitar teacher that translates to "getting your students to practice on what they need to practice on has more to do with what they've struggled with in the past than what you know they're going to struggle with in the future."

Like you said, if I'd have put this in front of you a year ago it would have been "no deal." Now, it fits right in.

Griff

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Mike and Griff. You are right, I am where I need to be at this time. When I thought about what you said it makes sense. It is like my theory, I have much of the basics, but as I look ahead it is greek. I know that is because in my study so far this is what I know and need to know. The next questions that come to mind are the ones that take me to the next step where I need to be. :)