It’s happening again

Elio

Student Of The Blues
The last time I started dancing , all hell broke loose.
The police were called, and I woke up with 2 giraffes, 3 Amish farmer's daughters and a coconut latte. I think they called it Rumpelstiltskin. :Beer::Beer::Beer:

I suspect that it was actually the drinking that led to dancing, giraffes, Amish fraternization, and coconuts. Any word as to when the restraining order expires? :cool:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I'm telling you, it's a special dance you have to do for a particular browser deity. Unfortunately, I haven't figured it out either because I'm in the same boat you all are in.
That's the problem - it's specific to the browser; so the dance you've gotta do for Chrome is different to the one for Firefox..... and you have to study for a long time to learn more than one.
This reminds me - does anyone remember the Macintosh SE/30? The all-in-one with the little screen and the floppy-disk slot in the front? Back in those days you had to do an Apple-approved course to get one of the nifty 30-cm-long Allen Keys that went down through a hole in the top of the case to a socket in the bottom of the case and you had to turn it 90 degrees anti-clockwise while standing on your left foot with your tongue in your cheek and spell Macintosh backwards out loud, ALL AT ONCE, in order to get the case of the computer open. And if you turned it clockwise you would break the lock and never be able to open that computer again. Was that pre-Internet? I think so, AppleTalk was the "network".

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
That's the problem - it's specific to the browser;
This may be the answer. I can swap between my phone and a windows m/c no problems. When I switch between different windows I often have to login. I have put that down to length of time between sessions as I tend to use a windows for a long period (using my desktop at home and only swapping to my laptop on roadtrips). On my phone I use the Samsung browser and Firefox on windows devices. Maybe try different browsers on the different devices and see if that fixes it.

Cheers

Al

steve o

Student Of The Blues
This may be the answer. I can swap between my phone and a windows m/c no problems. When I switch between different windows I often have to login. I have put that down to length of time between sessions as I tend to use a windows for a long period (using my desktop at home and only swapping to my laptop on roadtrips). On my phone I use the Samsung browser and Firefox on windows devices. Maybe try different browsers on the different devices and see if that fixes it.

Cheers

Al
Thanks for the tip Al. It just doesn’t make sense that I don’t have to log in every time I visit the forum for literally years, then it suddenly requires me to for a month, and then suddenly go back to not requiring me to log in again for years again without changing anything. Like I said earlier, it’s not a big deal, I just don’t understand why.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the tip Al. It just doesn’t make sense that I don’t have to log in every time I visit the forum for literally years, then it suddenly requires me to for a month, and then suddenly go back to not requiring me to log in again for years again without changing anything. Like I said earlier, it’s not a big deal, I just don’t understand why.

I had a conversation with Griff about this a couple years ago. I think I remember him saying that it started following an update (I think to Java), that triggered it. The inconsistency over time is really a head-scratcher, although for me any time that it works is really an exception. I have to log back in virtually every time I visit the forum and switch to a different device. With the "stay logged on" box checked, I can usually leave and come back, as long as I haven't tried logging in elsewhere and as long as it is during the same 24 hour period. Fortunately, it's a minor inconvenience given all the benefits of the forum!

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I had a conversation with Griff about this a couple years ago. I think I remember him saying that it started following an update (I think to Java), that triggered it. The inconsistency over time is really a head-scratcher, although for me any time that it works is really an exception. I have to log back in virtually every time I visit the forum and switch to a different device. With the "stay logged on" box checked, I can usually leave and come back, as long as I haven't tried logging in elsewhere and as long as it is during the same 24 hour period. Fortunately, it's a minor inconvenience given all the benefits of the forum!
I totally agree Elio. It just floors me on how it comes and goes. It definitely is not a big deal, and sorry, for better or worse, you guys and gals are stuck with me! LOL!!!:cool::D:cool:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
So I am pretty sure there is pass thru authentication from the main website, yes?

So I figured I would rekey my credentials there and that might fix it?

I logged into the main site, and then closed the forum and reopened, and it let me right in.

Then logged off the main site, and forum logged me in. Then opened on my cell phone (both are Chrome browser) and it logged me in.

Up till now I've had to logon for both PC and cell for 2 days or so.

Not saying this is the answer, but it is finally working for me.

Found it interesting that you log into the main site with your email, and the user field prefills with my username from the forum, not my email address, which you need to logon to the main site.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
FWIW what happens to me is (I log into the forum from one of three devices: a desktop, a laptop, and a tablet) when I log in on one device, I'm logged out of the other ones. Also, if I'm on my tablet and go to some other tab on my web browser and come back, I'm usually logged out and have to log back in when I return.

If I'm using one of the two computers I stay logged in for (so far as I can tell) as long as I don't use a different device.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
FWIW what happens to me is (I log into the forum from one of three devices: a desktop, a laptop, and a tablet) when I log in on one device, I'm logged out of the other ones. Also, if I'm on my tablet and go to some other tab on my web browser and come back, I'm usually logged out and have to log back in when I return.

If I'm using one of the two computers I stay logged in for (so far as I can tell) as long as I don't use a different device.
Yep, that’s how it has always been for me as well. That isn’t the case here though. When I’m on the forum, 99.999% of the time I’m on with my iPhone. No phone updates have taken place, nothing has changed any of the 3 times now that has happened over the last few years to cause it to start or stop having to log in every time I check out the forum.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Yep, that’s how it has always been for me as well. That isn’t the case here though. When I’m on the forum, 99.999% of the time I’m on with my iPhone. No phone updates have taken place, nothing has changed any of the 3 times now that has happened over the last few years to cause it to start or stop having to log in every time I check out the forum.
As has been mentioned in another thread, the login database (username/email address/password) is stored within software that runs the commerce website (https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/members/login/). The forum software is co-located on the same physical server, but it gets the login information through an API (software connection) to the commerce software.

Edit: I want to point out that this is only my theory as to why the log in problem happens. I haven't done any empirical testing of it.

Every now and then, the link gets temporarily out of sync between the two pieces of software. When that happens, the forum software updates all information as it re-syncs and as a result generates new session information. A copy is stored on the server and a copy is stored on your computer as a cookie. When the server updates, the cookie on your computer and the information in the server don't match and you will need to log in again.

Without going into a lot more detail, the decision was made to keep a single database for the two sites. It provides you the ability to log in to either the commerce site (where "My Courses" are stored) or the forum using the same user/email/password. It also makes tech support easier because they don't have to chase two separate databases when someone has issues logging on to one site or the other. The added benefit is that with the setup currently in place, you have to have purchased some material from Griff to be allowed an account in the forum. It keeps the spammers at bay. There are exceptions, such as anyone who had an account while the previous forum software was up. Those old accounts were grandfathered into Griff's database whether purchases had been recorded or not.

Last edited: