Is this for a complete beginner?

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
My daughter recently expressed an interest in learning how to play guitar. As far as I know, she hasn't picked one up and tried it yet. Should she try this course, or is she better off with some personal lessons? Also, I think she is more interested in campfire type songs, so is there stuff other than blues in there? I know she couldn't do better than starting out with Griff. Thanks guys.  :cool:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Probably not for total beginners but in my opinion I haven't seen a better course for developing skills useful for campfire style stuff than Strumming and Rythmn Mastery.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well, it takes you from tuning to tab and all the way to barre chords. I think this would be a good course, especially since you can get the Student discount.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I started with BBG, then BGU, and have all of Griff's courses except the one with Steve. BBG teaches the basics but is designed to go with BGU which is designed for someone that wants to play in a band or play Blues with others, For campfire the Strumming and Rhythm would be more helpful along with ABGU. I would also add private lessons.
Hope this helps. :)

Rick23

Blues Junior
Not to lead anybody away from Griff, I can't say enough about what I am learning from BBG, and I have BGU and S&RM waiting. But Justinguitar.com is the most comprehensive online pure beginner lesson series I have come across. it is free, operates on donations and sale of songbooks and optional DVD's, and starts with the most basic ideas in a logical structured progression. I have been using both BBG and Justin for a few months after floundering for a year, and the combination of the two is really working for me.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I agree.  I also used both BBG and Justinguitar.com when first picking up the guitar and it seemed to be a good fit; each filled in the cracks where the other may have skipped over.  I'm now on ABGU and still use the more advanced portions of Justinguitar.com for filler and a change of pace.
Both are good in my opinion for beginners.

SaddlerDav1d

Blues Newbie
I also use Justin's lessons occasionally. he also has a knack of explaining things
in an easy to understand way like Griff.
I've noticed he uses the same technique to mute unwanted strings as Griff,
and he emphasises the need to practice very slowly and to take each lick
a section at a time. But having said that, you cant beat BGU.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I think BBG is perfect for a brand new player.
As Chuck mentioned it goes from tuning to to playing chords that sound a lot like Brown Eyed Girl. (Campfire songs for sure).

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
We all had to start somewhere and the BBG is a great starting point. The biggest problem with youngsters is their imagination, some think that they will soon be playing like their favourite stars and that it'll just happen.

Good luck.  :)