is this a mode and, if so, what is it?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
So I was just sitting around jamming over an Em progression. Actually I think it would technically be a G progression, but I'm not positive (Em, C, G, D, Em, G, Am, Bm, Em). The Bm instead of a B maj is what makes me think it's actually G.

Anyways, was playing this scale over the top of the progression and totally digging it, but have no idea what it is or why that D# in it was working.

E, F#, G, A, B, C, D#, E

Sorry - I could probably answer my own question, but I started MUL a while back but didn't get far enough into it to remember anything. It also just occurs to me that I may go grab my GTMU book and see what I can find there. But curious if anyone wants to expound here.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
OK - so now I'm really confused. I tried to go through and match the intervals to a scale of some sort so it'd fit into a mode, and it doesn't fit anything. So then I started looking at the scales that might be involved with each of the chords, and the D# isn't in any of them. It fits into a B major scale, but not B minor. Granted it only works as a passing tone to the E, but it sounds pretty cool in that context. And I can't figure out why it works.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I was just reading another "mode" thread and my head is spinning!
I can't remember all of the theory stuff either, but for this I tried G - based on the C and D (Maj) being one whole step apart.
I wrote it out as:
G A B C D E F# - this seems to fit all of your chords (except the D#) to put it in G major diatonic scale, Ionian mode.
I'm thinking that the D# is a nice leading tone to the the E, but not really "in the scale."

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Yes, the scale you're describing is E Harmonic Minor, though I can't see any reason why that would work over those chords. The changes are in the key of Eminor or G major, take your pick I think you could make a case for either.

I would think the E Harmonic minor might sound okay sometimes, but especially over the Bmin I dont' think you'd like the B Major sound that would give.