International Left-Handers Day

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My grandfather and his son (my Uncle), were left handed.

We had a girl in Catholic School, my friend since Kindergarten, who was left handed. When she attempted to use her left hand to write, the nun would hit her across the knuckles with her 18 inch ruler and scream: “The left hand is the hand of the devil”! I think it was the same nun from the movie "The Blues Brothers"! No, it was her twin sister! ;)

Well. For those of you who have a preference to use your left hand for playing guitar, this is for you!

International Left-Handers Day

An offering from Hal Leonard:

Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Book 1 – Left-Handed Edition | Hal Leonard Online

There are more:

ChordBuddy Left-Handed Guitar Learning Boxed System | Hal Leonard Online

Guitar Case Guide to Left-Handed Chords - Compact Reference Library | Hal Leonard Online

Guitar Case Guide to Left-Handed Scales - Compact Reference Library | Hal Leonard Online

Left-Handed Guitar - The Complete Method | Hal Leonard Online

Left Hand Guitar Chord Chart | Hal Leonard Online

Picture Chord Encyclopedia for Left-Handed Guitarists - Photos & Diagrams for Over 2,600 Chords! | Hal Leonard Online

Left handed Bass

Hal Leonard Left-Handed Bass Tab Method – Book 1 | Hal Leonard Online

Drums

Hal Leonard Drumset Method – Left-Handed Edition | Hal Leonard Online

Ukulele

Left-Handed Ukulele – The Complete Method | Hal Leonard Online

Hal Leonard Ukulele Method Book 1 – Left-Handed Edition | Hal Leonard Online

If you should be right handed, not to fear! By simply using a mirror to view the literature, things will appear in a more familiar position. :eek:

Tom

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
The nuns at my Primary School also whacked the left-handed kids, but some of them survived !!

My wife is a lefty, and there's a fridge-magnet in the kitchen that says "everybody is born right-handed; only the truly gifted overcome it".

I tie my shoe-laces left-handed. My mother reckoned it's because I copied my father except that I was sitting in front of him watching - so I saw it back-to-front.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I never really figured out if I'm a lefty or not. I write, eat, shot pool, and prefer using hand tools left handed. As a kid, learning to use scissors was quite a challenge.
I play baseball right handed and kick a football with my right foot. I started guitar playing right handed and now I can barely hold a guitar left handed.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I'm left handed but play right handed. When I was looking for my first guitar in the late 70s the guy working at the guitar shop told I should learn to play right handed or it will be expensive and hard trying to find left handed guitars. I'm glad I took his advice.

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
My youngest brother is right-handed, but when he was a kid and started learning guitar, he figured since he didn't know how to play at all, it didn't matter whether he learned right or left-handed. He wanted to play left-handed because Paul McCartney plays left-handed. Of course, he only had access to a right-handed guitar, so he learned (and still plays to this day) a right-handed guitar upside down.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I never really figured out if I'm a lefty or not. I write, eat, shot pool, and prefer using hand tools left handed. As a kid, learning to use scissors was quite a challenge.
I play baseball right handed and kick a football with my right foot. I started guitar playing right handed and now I can barely hold a guitar left handed.
I write left handed. Most other things. kicking throwing batting, playing guitar, right handed. I'll eat with a fork in my left hand. With tools I can switch over if it gives me better access.

For guitar, it seems to me the normal right handed approach actually requires more dexterity in the left hand. Maybe the dominant right hand controls the rhythm.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Two of my three kids are the same, write and eat lefty, sports and music right handed

steve o

Student Of The Blues
My son and daughter both write and throw right handed but hit a baseball, softball and hockey puck left handed. They both say “you messed us up, we don’t know what handed we are I can accept that because they both had a blast growing up having fun with those activities as long as I was there:):D

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My son and daughter both write and throw right handed but hit a baseball, softball and hockey puck left handed. They both say “you messed us up, we don’t know what handed we are I can accept that because they both had a blast growing up having fun with those activities as long as I was there:):D
Both of mine can switch hit in baseball, my son loves frisbee golf, I'll have to ask which hand he flicks with

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
That's an advantage in baseball, because you're more likely to see right-handed pitchers (where left-handed hitters see the ball better) and you're a couple of strides closer to first base. And in hockey, people more knowledgeable than me tell me it's best to have your dominant hand at the top of the stick, because you do a lot holding the stick with just one hand, and obviously it's better if it's your dominant hand.